Upgrading to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by madrob, Sep 27, 2003.

1. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Hello all

Im about to upgrade from ME to Xp Pro.

Never done it before but presume is fairly simple. Just wanted to know if u have any tips etc, past experiences. Will i need to re install programs after etc. Such as Anti Virus, games or whatever?

On another quick point, can anyone recomennd any cheap (Free) good firewalls, about to get broadband you see!

Cheers Guys and Gals!

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  2. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Can't say I am generally in favour of upgrading O/S's. I much prefer a clean install of the new one but that does mean you need all your data backed up to some removable media and you also need all the driver disks for your hardware.

Always run the checkupgrade utility first to determine if XP can foresee any problems with either hardware or software before you upgrade so you can get drivers, patches etc in advance.

As for the firewall, I use Mcafee but you usually have to pay for that, a lot of people use Zone Alarm which I believe is free for the home edition.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have to totally agree with Luton on the upgrade, if you can backup your data then do a clean install, it will make thing much smoother in the long run.

ZoneAlarm is one of the better free software firewalls available www.zonelabs.com for the free download.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

XP comes with a built-in firewall.

5. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Thanks Guys

Dont really want to start agin if i can help it. I know you say it is better but is doing the upgrade really that bad?

Does the Checkupgrade thingy run from the CD? Thanks guys! I hope it all goes well upgrading normally, if not it will be my own fault for not listening to sound advice!

Hey ho

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You'll be fine, Rob - we have faith in you :thumbleft

Just been doing similar myself - upgrading w2k to XP - I've just wasted a day, as I found out my CD-RW was on the way out.

Quick change over to an old CD-R and we're off and running (by the way, while I ws mulling over the prob, I decided to go for a clean install !)

I do agree with the above that clean is better, but it sounds like you need that machine running ASAP, so you might be right to upgrade instead - it's not too bad, just you take along any "baggage" with you.

Keep us posted ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It doesn't hurt to have experience upgrading an OS. Often in work settings, it's not reasonable to uninstall the operating systems on several hundred PCs and then push a fresh install out over the network. The checkupgrade utility is on the XP disk. I tried to do a quick google and technet search but came up with nada as far as a set of step by step instructions. I did find a link that might prove helpful:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

Given a bit more time, I could probably find it for you since I have read about it before when studying for the 210.

Zone Alarm, free though it may be, is superior to the built in firewall in XP (trust me...I've wrestled with XP's firewall many a time and finally have disabled them on all of my XP boxes.

Make sure to back up all the data you can't live without "just in case". As far as your apps, games, etc. They should survive but it's not worth backing all that stuff up. If it disappears or stops working, just reinstall the app. A word of caution here: Applications that have a fine record of working under another MS OS have a tendency to stop working under XP. The cure is to get the current version of the app and install it. I've heard many of a complant on this issue. Also, disable your anti-virus software before the upgrade since it's libel to interfere with the process.

BTW, if you don't use checkupgrade, chances are, if your PC has at least the minimum recommended resources to run XP, it will do ok. I also have to say that I favor fresh installs, but upgrades are a valid method to move to a newer OS. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Thanks guys

and tripwire thanks that was very helpful and what the doctor ordered!

Im going to do it as an upgrade and just see what happens! It is a fairly new machine so to be honest i dont have alot to lose! I will back up all the data we have to CD and disable the anti virus. Apart from the data and antivirus we dont have alot of apps on here. Apart from a few games and things. I have the CD for everything so it should be all good! The machine is way over the rec resources for XP so im pretty confident all will be fine!

Thanks again guys

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Guys

Sorry I am a bit late but I have been subnetting to death :!:

I always prefer to do a clean install on an OS usually cos it cuts out all the crap that you have on your HD. And it works :!:

10. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Thanks for the late and informative info Sandy!

Ive decided to give the upgrade ago and see what the monkeys happens. I would love to do a clean install but i really need to get the upgrade done and dusted.

In this case does anyone have any tips? IE things to do before upgrading, again not a clean install!

Cheers Fellas!

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Only what has been said before, back up anything you don't want to lose. Then just shove the CD in and see if uncle Bill is feeling generous today :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Yup, again, just BACK UP !!! And make sure you at LEAST have your modem driver - if the worst happens, and there's a prob - get the modem working FIRST, that way you can download anything else you need.

Go for it, Rob - HTH :?

13. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Woo hoo

Jobs a good en, everything work right and first time! It took about an hour to install but nothing died, all the drivers stayed. It made me update a few things but nothing major!

Next task is Broadband on Friday but apparently it "only takes ten mins"!

Thanks guys

14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not if BT has anything to do with it!!!!
    :joker

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Excellent, well done, Rob :D

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There's an unwritten law in the universe that says if you're prepared for the worst...it doesn't happen. If you aren't prepared and hope to skate by...watch out! :ukliam2

Certifications: A+ and Network+