Upgrading the Router Memory?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by quackers, Sep 10, 2007.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Has anyone tried this ? I can see the memory for my 2504 isnt too expensive, i might get some.

I would like to see if i have any available slots, how do you take the router apart?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Very carefully. Actually, routers and switches are almost never physically serviced...at least not as frequently as you'd open up a PC. This isn't to say that router hardware can't be upgraded, but you might want to take a look at the router's documentation to see what the recommended method is of upgrading the RAM.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

4. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

well i've got it further than before, it's about an inch on either side but it now appears to be stuck.

I only see two screws and i've removed them both, i'm not sure what is holding it back :blink

5. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

haha thanks trip, still didnt get it completed sorted. It wouldnt separate properly, i'll give it another go when i next get the chance

8. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

What is the current memory? The 2500 should run most everything you need for basic routing etc so unless you have a larger image such as IP Enterprise you should be fine even with 4/4 memory.

If you want to open it you need to remove the retaining screws and then almost prise it apart because it slots tightly together. You will see DRAM and Flash memory inside and you can simply unclip it and replace it. Here is what they look like:

DRAM

Flash

Problem if you remove the flash is that you then have no image so have to perform a Rommon upgrade.

Hope it helps.

Paul