upgrading processor laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mallet, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I have still my dell inspiron 1300 even with my new monster build pc I did last year. I was thinking of upgrading the cpu on my 'laptop'....... no thats not a typo.
    Apparently its really easy to do on my laptop according to dells online manual.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/en/sm/cpu.htm#wp1084976

but I dont know what will happen if did snuck in a Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile which has the 479 socket(same socket as the current celeron m size) if I am correct. I am more worried that it might burn up my laptop. even with an update bios, will it even work?

The reason why i want to keep the dell is because its not that bad of a laptop. yes it needs a new hardrive which currently has 40gb and 27gb free :dry and possibly a new battery. As much as I want to, I Just dont see the point of giving away a very low tech laptop that works very very slow.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Mallet,
    I doubt very much if this would work.
    After a quick scout on google it looks as though your laptop has the Intel 910GML chipset. On Intels site it only mentions it as being optimised for the Celeron M processor, which has a FSB of 400Mhz, whereas the C2D has an 800Mhz FSB.

Also this link shows possible processor combo's and they are all Cel M's.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks for the links :)
    that does help alot. its a shame I cant buy a C2D and use on the laptop.
    could always get a bigger hardrive to see if it does help the slowdown.

-Mallet

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why do you need a new hard drive if you've got 27 G free, and why would a bigger harddrive help a slow computer?

Why not just wipe it and reinstall?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

well, I did wipe it clean a few months ago. even with very little programs on it, its running slow as hell then before. doing even a simple task like opening my com now takes 30sec to load compared to 10 sec previously.
    the laptop has got 2GB of ram.
    I dont know what else is causing the slowdown.

-Mallet

6. BosonMichael

Dunno... but a bigger hard drive's not gonna fix that problem. When you wiped it clean, was it running fast? I would assume so... and if so, then it's likely a problem caused by one of the apps you installed afterwards.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

One of the biggest culprits for slowing down computers is anti-virus software. Out of interest, what are you using?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Initially, when it was wiped clean a few months back it was ok. when it was running slow, I did the install again but it returned to being slow without very little apps.

I am using anit-vir, free-av :)
    but even when I did have anti vir, even browsing seemed fine previously. dont hardrives have like a life cycle? the one in my one is a hitachi hard disk :dry

-Mallet

9. BosonMichael

Yikes. I wouldn't trust Anti-vir.

Hard drives have an average failure rate... but it either works or it doesn't. It's not gonna slow down with age...

10. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

whats wrong with anti-vir?

cheers for the hardrive info :)

-Mallet

11. BosonMichael

There are reports of it actually being spyware itself - whether that's true or not, I have no idea. Other reports simply say it does a piss poor job... it's free, after all, what do you expect for free? For both reasons, I just wouldn't trust my data to it, not when there are plenty of other good (and trusted) solutions out there.

12. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

the reason why I kept it was because it does work for me and it has detected viruses. I had for few years now on pc and its been swell :biggrin

I guess its down to trail and error on these. what you currently using boson?

-Mallet

13. BosonMichael

I currently use TrendMicro, but they're wanting to charge full retail price for next year's upgrade, so I'm considering using the Fprot license that my ISP has granted to me. Regardless, I'm not going to go with a free solution. There's no such thing as a free lunch... and you tend to get what you pay for.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I used to use anti-vir ymtil a couple of strange incidents which I couldn't verify eitherway.

1. was where there was a lot of activity going on with my hard drive as if it was copying something my router was also blinking away as if there was a transfer which I assumed was an update.

After reading reports this made me think.

2. Was where the update seemed to carry on repeating itself then I got a BSOD.

I now run ESET smart security, yep it costs £39.99 a year but it has very regular updates and doesn't use much cpu usage at all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?