Upgrading my Mac-mini

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi all,

Long time no post, just logged on this morning and there's been 1799 new posts :) Anyway...

As you guys know, I'm a PC guy and prefer Windows. However I do have a Mac-mini and decided to upgrade it. It was only the basic model, so I took a chance and decided to crack it open to upgrade what I could. Opening the case was the tricky part as there are no screws on the actually case, it's secured by plastic clips. With 2 putty/filling knifes I opened the case, and then unscrewed 4 screws. After about 15mins of trying to separate the top and the bottom part, I finally realised that I had to detach one of the cables, which was easy to do. Then I was able to ungrade the HDD from the standard 60gb one to a 120gb one. Put back everything to how it was and then closed the case. Re-installed OSX 10.4 then upgraded it to 10.5.

Decided to try out Bootcamp, which worked like a treat. The only problem I had was when I left the partition as how the Mac does it for you and installed Windows onto it - the fix re-install Windows but do a full format.

So now I have a working dual-booting Mac-mini. Next upgrade for my Mac-mini, more ram :)

-Ken

Attached Files:

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have some photos somewhere when i upgraded mine .. original PPC version.

I brought it with 256MB and got a cheap 1GB DIMM (PPC version only has 1 slot) to replace it.. saving a lot of money.

I can open them easy with a single converted putty knife

AndiC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Saving some cash up to do mine in the summer. Trying to find out if there is a limit on drive size that can be put in but definitely planning to move from 1 gig to 2 for the RAM. Vista is getting a bit too hungry for me to be happy with it.