upgrading MCSA to MCTIP SA - advice needed please

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by rockstar6181, Jun 25, 2011.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I passed my MCSA 2003 about 5 years ago and have been working on servers doing basic admin stuff, I also do same types of stuff on server 2008.

I would like to do upgrade exams but if i was to take the 2003 exams again i wouldnt pass as i cant rememember all the things i learnt. I am worried that if i try the upgrade exam to 2008 that it will assume i have the "mcsa 2003 knowledge fresh in my mind" - any advice on this?

thanks

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That's a good question but I haven't taken the upgrade so I can't answer that. Based on my experience from doing the MCDST to the Windows 7 equivalent I would say no though. Nothing I did to pass the MCDST nor for that matter when I was teaching the MCDST course at college really helped when taking the upgrade exam. Well not in my opinion anyway. It was focused entirely on the new technology.

Get the 2008 knowledge sorted and I think that you would be good to go on this one really. I'm personally not sure if doing the upgrade is worth it though. You would save the cost of one exam, but I don't like to have to spread my knowledge too much when focusing on passing something like this. I have been toying with doing the 2k8 stuff for a while but am edging towards taking the exams seperately rather than doing the upgrade.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Agreed with Modey, I want to upgrade too but I can't justify any reason to take the upgrade exam only, it would be much easier for me to take them seperately.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing