1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by flex22, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    On my laptop I have FAT32.This is how my laptop was set up, I didn't configure it this way, because I would have chosen NTS myself.

    So, I'm going to upgrade.

    Any advice, preparation tips, whatever before I do this.

    Oh and how do I upgrade would be helpful.

    Thanks :!:
    :git
     
  2. SimonV

    SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

    6,616
    149
    228
    What OS are you using? You can convert from the command prompt Flex.

    1) Go to run and type cmd.

    2) Type convert c: /fs:ntfs /v ("c" being the letter of the drive you want to convert to NTFS.

    3) You will need to reboot the system for the file system conversion to process...


    Note: Keep in mind that once you convert FAT32 to NTFS5 using Windows 2000's/XP's convert command, there is no reversing it. There are 3rd party softwares that can accomplish this though.
     
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    Windows XP Professional.

    One reason for doing this is because I have VMWare machines that are using virtual disks, formatted with NTFS.A couple of times I've gotten disk error messages just after using VMWare, who when VMWare has been left idle.I think, but am not certain, that this could be a conflict because VM is using NTS and XP Pro host is using FAT32.

    Besides that, NTS has security and all that lot.

    That's what I mean by advice, you see I don't really use any old programs or owt so I should be alright, shouldn't I :?: :unsure
     
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

    Jakamoko On the move again ...

    9,915
    60
    229
    Yup, everything will work just as before, only you'll get all the extra benefits of NTFS.

    Oh the joys of Permissions !!!!

    Go for it, Flex - and keep us posted :)
     
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    My tutor at CT just told that backing up everything would be a good idea.

    Thing is, I've lost my last backup CD.Should I chance upgrading now or should I definitely backup everything.

    I need to buy some more CD's before I can backup.
    :whatthink
     
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

    Jakamoko On the move again ...

    9,915
    60
    229
    BACK UP ! BACK UP ! BACK UP !

    EDIT: Don't you have any free space on a spare partition, or on another drive / PC ? If not, wait for the disks !
     
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    I'll backup then.

    Does anyone know of any kinds of phenomena or whatever, like files usually dissapearing during the upgrade process, or anything else.

    Just wondering, but don't panic, I will BACKUP :!:

    Promise 8)
     
  8. Phil
    Honorary Member

    Phil Gigabyte Poster

    1,680
    7
    87
    Backing up is a good plan, but I've never come across any problems when I've conveted a partition, it's always been reliable for me.
     
    Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

    Jakamoko On the move again ...

    9,915
    60
    229
    Phil's right - 99.9% chance that nothing will go wrong, but there's always the 0.1% that screws up everything :bigcry
     
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Luton Bee

    Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

    365
    0
    36
    Never had any problems runnnig convert. To be safe though back up data and (as it's a laptop) make sure you have restore disks, drivers and application disks to hand just in case. Having the disks handy and the back-up recent is all "best practice" stuff anyway!
     
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

    Nelix Gigabyte Poster

    1,412
    3
    82
    Couldnt agree more with you
     
    Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-294
  12. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    Being a bit lazy and asking here.

    What's the current volume label mean, is this just the same as the drive letter.

    If not, where do I find it?

    Ta :!:
     
  13. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    I sorted the volume label issue out, but now I get this message.

    Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first.ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?<Y/N>

    Not sure about this, any help please.

    Ta :!:
     
  14. Phil
    Honorary Member

    Phil Gigabyte Poster

    1,680
    7
    87
    what command are you using flex?
     
    Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  15. Phil
    Honorary Member

    Phil Gigabyte Poster

    1,680
    7
    87
    Have you tried rebooting the machine ? Whenever I've done a conversion it has forced a reboot and run the conversion during the boot process and so any handles to the volume would have been released
     
    Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  16. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    The one Si gave me


     
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

    tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

    13,493
    179
    287
    flex...go to bed. You're up too late. See you in the morning...my morning, your afternoon. :)
     
    Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. SimonV

    SimonV Petabyte Poster Administrator

    6,616
    149
    228
    You must be converting the C: so the PC is telling you you cant as its a mounted volume. "Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?<Y/N>" if you say Yes then It will say you cant but will schedule the convert to run next reboot.


    SimonV
     
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  19. flex22

    flex22 Gigabyte Poster

    1,679
    0
    69
    OK, done this.

    I right-clicked a folder but it's set out differently in XP Pro.In windows 2000 you can see the permissions tab.I can't see it in XP Pro.

    :x flamin heck what is the point in moving everything :cussing
     
  20. Phil
    Honorary Member

    Phil Gigabyte Poster

    1,680
    7
    87
    Flex,

    Microsoft have tried to wrap XP in cotton wool so you don't hurt yourself :) You need to explore, go to tools > folder options and in the view tab is an option to let you play with the big boys toys, sorry I don't know which option it is since I don't have an XP box close to hand.
     
    Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade

Share This Page

Loading...