1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading a laptop (i'm clueless)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sambangert, Aug 5, 2008.

1. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I havn't posted here for a little while so hi all.

Basically i've just got my first laptop, (one of these free deals with mobile broadband), and i want to upgrade it, rams not gonna be a problem won't take long, but the hdd is pretty small only 80gb. The burning question, can i put a second hdd in or do i need to put a new one in. Will this be a tricky procedure regardless of a new one or just a second hdd. The laptop is an acer aspire 5315. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers guys and gals

sambangert

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it shouldn't be a tricky procedure at all, all you do is locate the hard drive bay and slide out the old one a put in the new one. Remeber you must have the drivers and a windows disk for you to be able to install everything and make your devices work.

It probably wont take a second hard drive, I have never seen a laptop with two.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. postman

postman Byte Poster

Due to the small size of a laptop you can't put another HDD into it but you can replace it with a bigger one (you'll need a copy of the OS to reinstall it).

Although 80G is not that that small, you'd be better off just keeping the disk clear of rubbish and not replacing anything.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

I agree with the replies above. Also if you just want extra space for storage you could get an external USB drive, which pretty cheap now a days and very easy to install. Unless you want your OS to be on a bigger hard drive then you would have to replace the hard drive like the gentlemen already stated.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

cheers guys, thanks for the advice. Laptop newbie here, give me a desktop and i'm laughing!!!!!

Just wasn't sure about the hdd on laptops.

Thanks again

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Note also that changing the HDD on a new laptop would almost certainly invalidate your warranty. OTOH adding memory probably wouldn't.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+