Upgraded your MCSE?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A question for all the peeps with the MCSE cert on NT or 2000, did you upgrade to 2003? Also does anyone have any plans to upgrade to the new MCSE for Vista/2007?

Most of senior guys I work with are certified on MCSE but none of them are on 2003 yet as they haven’t upgraded from 2k or NT.

I’m just wondering if the motivation to “upgrade” isn’t there or maybe its just time for a break after the MCSE marathon! I intend to upgrade in the future but I do know I want to get certified in another technology before going back down the MS path. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The truth is the upgrade exams are bitches :ohmy

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it true that the upgrade exams are a combination of other MCPs? Therefore you would need to know the material for more than just two MCPs if that makes sense.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Got my MCSA & E in 2k then did the upgrade exams to 2k3. The MCSA 2k3 upgrade was hard, but the MCSE 2k3 upgrade exam was a ***** (edited by myself).

Will probably do the upgrade exam for 2k7 (or 2k8 if it gets released) after a few years, already attempting the upgrade to Vista (71-621). As for incentive, well why not... If I can. But first I'm considering the CISCO route - time will tell :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes that is the case :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quoted for Truth. What upgrade exam is not? :p

Yes, I have upgraded, am currently upgrading, and will continue to upgrade in the future.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonMichael

Confirming what Blue just said, the upgrade exams are combinations of other exams. For example, 292 is a combo of 290+291, and 296 is a combo of 293+294. From what I understand, 621 will be a combo of 620+622.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well I am finally catching up on the 2003 upgrade path after family, work and real estate kept me away from it for several months.

A lot of 2000 certed folks dont want to get out of their comfort zones again - which is a shame. I think it boils down to already having the job and the MCSE is something they did prior to get the job.

I am hoping to go Linux and Cisco for awhile after the two upgrade exams...thats if I can do them quick enough.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I did the NT 4 MCSE from scratch
    then did the upgrades to 2k (a Big mistake, it missed out so much stuff its not funny)
    So i decided to do the full 2k3 track from scratch to cover those missed parts (still havnt bloody finished it yet), I will probably then upgrade to vista/longhorn as I feel the difference is not as revolutionary as NT4 to 2K was so it wont be as complicated a jump

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Kitkatninja

The 621 will be a combo of 3 exams, the 620, 622 & the 623* I believe.

See here. part 3 :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I haven't upgraded yet. A new job, family taking on other charitable interests has kept me away from the books. I kinda think that I may start from scratch again on the VIsta/Longhorn thing when it comes out, but we shall see. There is so much other stuff I woulf like to look at - Cisco, *nix, wireless the list goes on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. BosonMichael

I'm relatively certain that 70-623 is not a part of 70-621:

70-623 gets you the MCITP: Consumer Support Technician certification.
    70-620 + 70-622 gets you the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician certification.
    70-621 + the old MCDST gets you the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician certification.

Plus, if you look at the exam objectives, 620+622 map well to 621. 70-623 has many consumer-oriented portions that aren't on 70-621.

13. Kitkatninja

On the MS page the 70-621 is 3 exams (the 70-623 is the 3rd one I believe, however this is unsure - we haven't been told what the 3rd one is yet).

-Ken

14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Not gone for the upgrade - due to doing a degree with the Open University. Might do it after my Masters??

15. BosonMichael

I see what you're saying about the 3rd exam required for the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician certification... but I don't think it will be 70-623, as passing 70-621 doesn't also give you the MCITP: Consumer Support Technician certification.

Congrats to Microsoft for making the new certification programs crystal clear! :thumbleft hah!

16. BosonMichael

Update, Ken... it's definitely NOT the 70-623, but there is another exam coming:

From here:

...and the 70-620 exam being a 3rd exam, which is basically a prerequisite for either of the MCITP certifications.

17. Kitkatninja

:lol:

Just reading the MS blogs, it looks like MS is trying to add Office 2k7 into the MCITP Enterprise cert, so maybe it'll be the 70-624 (the office cert)?

-Ken

18. BosonMichael

That'd be interesting... and in my opinion, pretty justifiable.

Perhaps that's why they're revamping 70-621 in mid-beta... to add objectives for this mysterious 3rd exam. After all, their current objectives for 70-621 map cleanly to 70-620 and 70-622, and there aren't any objectives for Office on MS pages... yet. That's my guess, anyway.

Looking at the 70-624 page... it's not just Office anymore... looks like there's a lot of Vista stuff as well: