Upgraded again.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by neutralhills, Nov 9, 2008.

1. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I just had pacemaker number four installed this past Friday. Surgery went well, but the shoulder will be sore for a few days. Now for the interesting part...

I've had a pacemaker for nie on 28 years. In all this time, I've never actually received a manual along with my new pacemaker. So I've asked the pacemaker clinic staff what things I should avoid doing:

"Welding equipment and magnets."

Okay, that's simple enough. Also means that new induction stove I want is off the list. Except, I decided to RTFM and discovered that there are other sources of EMI I need to avoid:

- antennas that transmit at over 1/2 a watt (like the KA band sat dishes I was installing.
    - or like the WiMax radios I was installing.)
    - cell phone antennas must be kept at least six inches away from my left shoulder.

It would have been nice to have been told this sort of thing, oh, 28 years ago. Especially since my career -- which the pacemaker clinic staff were all aware of -- involves working with electronic equipment.

Oi.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

glad the surgery went well, a bit weird that they didn't tell you that stuff 28 years ago.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow, Sean! Glad you RTFM and that surgery went well. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Yep, glad to hear everything went well.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They probably have no idea themselves Sean, after all.... dammit Jim, i'm a doctor not a geek :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

good to see the surgery went well mate.
    Dont mind me asking, but what was the health reason you had to have a pacemaker put in you 28 years ago?

-mallet

Certifications: MCP
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I read that there are new concerns that some mp3 headphones can interferer with pacemakers.

Funnily enough i believe i read it in one of the nationals yesterday.

Glad your surgery went fine

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. neutralhills

Andi, yeah, I read the same article. I had been told not to worry about this previously as well. Oi.

I was born with a congenital heart defect known as a corrected transposition.

9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

sorry to hear that. hope your recovery is getting better mate.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yikes! :ohmy Well, at least you know going forward what to avoid. It's not like you can completely avoid everything... but at least you can now minimize exposure. :)

Glad you're OK, old friend. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. neutralhills

Recovery from pacemaker surgery is going okay. Problem was that I got nailed by the latest superbug making the rounds the following week. I've been living on ginger ale and Jello since Monday. The good news is that I'm down one waist size and I think I'm off caffeine for the foreseeable future.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm down to one cup of coffee in the morning. I do drink green tea at work and although it has caffeine, it doesn't have as much as coffee.

Certifications: A+ and Network+