Upgrade to MCITP:EA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, not got the 70-620 out the way yet but already I’m looking at the upgrade exams to get to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

From what I understand I need to do the 70-620 or the 70-624 for the client exam which is fine but I don’t know how to approach the other exams.

For example I was going to buy the MS Press book for the 70-647 however, it looks like it would be best to do the upgrade exam 70-649 first, based on the content of the exam, is this the case?

Also for the 70-649 what materials should be used for this? There are some books available for the 70-649 but would it be better to purchase materials for each section of the exam? I understand that the content from the 70-649 is taken from three Microsoft exams (70-640, 70-642, and 70-643). Should this exam be approached as an upgrade exam or should I really just aim to get a decent enough understanding of the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-643 and then just take the upgrade exam?

I need to get an idea of what materials to buy in regard to passing the exams although I am probably gonna buy the MS boxed set for MCITP:EA to get up to speed with Server 2008 anyway.

Any help appreciated! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

649 = 640 + 642 + 643. What will work for the three individual exams will work for the upgrade exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky

Yeah, but you can get books for just the 649. Surely it wont be able to cover as much as buying materials for each exam. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I reckon you should chnage your name to Masochist, mate... that's a heck of a lot of reading.

5. Sparky

The whole upgrade exam idea is new to me. From what I have heard the upgrade from 2k to 2003 for the MCSE route was difficult so I don’t see why the Server 2008 should be any different.

However in saying that what’s the point of having the upgrade exam if it requires just as much work as the three individual exams? Might as well take the three exams! :biggrin

Yeah I know it does quicken up the whole upgrade process just taking one exam but I’m just saying like. 8)

6. BosonMichael

They're likely relying on your past MCSE knowledge so they don't have to explain every little term and aspect to you. For example, I doubt they'd have to explain to you what a domain is. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

What's the point? Having to purchase one exam instead of three. 8)

Does it make it easier? Nay! It makes it harder! But it's less expensive... provided you pass in the first couple of tries!

8. Sparky

A domain? huh? :blink

:biggrin :biggrin

9. Sparky

Fun and games isnt it? :biggrin

Think I will buy a book or two for each exam and just zone out when Im reading about what a domain is. :biggrin

10. BosonMichael

Umm... get the individual books. :oops:

lol! classic! :biggrin:biggrin

11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's true, I've sat the upgrade exam 2x now (once in beta - 71-649 and once live - 70-649) both times it was hard, if you fail once part of the upgrade exam you fail the whole exam. The good thing for me is that I'm using the vouchers that MS sent to be for free (due to the problems with my MCTS & MCITP exams).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Sparky

13. GiddyG

14. Sparky

Tempting! :biggrin

The boxed set has the 70-647 which will be needed after the upgrade exam (if I pass it that is), just noticed that the boxed set is out on the 25th so I might just wait until then. 8)

15. GiddyG

25th? Not too long to wait then... enjoy! :biggrin

16. Sparky

Just ordered it :biggrin

Got the usual "WTF! more books?" reaction from the wife! :biggrin

17. BosonMichael

You should start worring about your studies when she DOESN'T say that! :D