upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 16, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As some of you know I am going to upgrade my ram and get XP pro for my pc

I already have a GB of ram but it is some cheap stuff, I am going to get 2GB of crucial ballistix, would there be any stability issues with keeping the GB I have and installing the 2GB so I have 3GB?

Also the internet cafe in town does upgrades and sells software and they can get me an official Windows XP pro for £115 do you think that sounds ok or a bit suss? ( Ihave seen the disks they have of xp pro and the look authentic (holgrams etc on the disks)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That price offered is for an OEM copy, normally that is either supplied with a new PC or when you buy some hardware with it. The main difference is that you do not get support from MS when you buy OEM software.

You can get it cheaper from Ebuyer, see here, for only £87.57 (free del). You can buy something else with the £25 saved :)

As for the ram, there shouldn't be any issues (crossing fingers) providing they are the same speed rating and you're not over-clocking...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee

oh I didn't realise, I don't want OEM version I want the full thing, I take I am looking at £200 then?

As for the ram all 3 GB will be 800MHz and I don't overclock.

4. Kitkatninja

If you don't want an OEM version, then it's either about £250 for the full version of Win XP Pro or about £150 for the Upgrade.

Just out of curiosity, why not an OEM copy?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. greenbrucelee

I was thinking that it may not have all of the full retail versions functions or am I wrong?

If it does then I will just get OEM version, can I still do a full install of it?

6. Kitkatninja

When some software vendors offer OEM version they only offer a cut down version, like Nero. However with Microsoft OEM products, the full product is there. Just the licensing is different, eg OEM software is to be provide with certain hardware and lack of support directly from MS.

-Ken

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can get an OEM full version... you just have to be legal and buy hardware with it. The only difference between OEM and Retail is that Microsoft's licensing restricts you from transferring the OEM version to another box (even after uninstalling the OS from that box) - the OS becomes "tied" to the computer... Retail Windows software doesn't have that restriction.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Kitkatninja

This article may be useful for you to read about buying MS OEM software.

-Ken

9. greenbrucelee

ahh right well I will need the full jolloppy then as intend, to build a pc shortly and want to transferr to that box.

10. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the info Ken.