Upgrade and replacement gone wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aw69, Jul 10, 2006.

1. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Hi
    I tried to install ManDrake 9.1 on a replacement 250gb harddrive after trying to put a spare harddive in my pc :oops: ,and after leaving the side of the case off i booted the pc to see if the new harddrive was found which it was so i shut down the pc to put the case and all the cables back together and then booted up again, the new hard drive which i put on ide1 as sec master was shown but the primary hard was not shown. So after much swaping of the harddrives the primary harddrive which had win xp on would not work at all on either ide0 or ide1 so i thought i would use ManDrake 9.1. I installed the disks as requested and when it rebooted it self it just asked for an os and boot from cd, I dont know if it was because in the bios it was still set up for cd first and possibly because had ide1 as next in the boot sequence.I did not have a chance to try and sort it out because my wife came back and started to complain about what i was doing to the pc saying it was all right and to leave it alone so i had to reinstall win xp and when it rebooted it wouldn't and that's when i checked the boot sequence and changed it over to ide0 and every thing works

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh well, as they say back to the drawing board :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

The way things are going at the moment wouldn't find the drawing board lol :oops:

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yummy :)

Sounds like my first foray in trying to build a dual booting system - but you haven't frazzled anything, and your other half hasn't stopped talking to you for a week or so!

For projects like this I've started to use an IDE to USB converter (it also comes with an SATA adapter). Configure the HDD and make sure your Primary one still boots, etc, and Voila!!

Also, I'm trying to convert an old Freecom external CD-RW I had lying around into an external HDD caddy, but that's another hash story for another day :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA