Update Windows DNS from ASA DHCP

Discussion in 'Networks' started by ThomasMc, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm trying to get my ASA 5505 to update the pointer records in my Windows DNS, everything static is working as expected but the ASA is unable to updated records(syslog id: 331001). This was the page I was using as a reference, my thinking is that its something to do with authentication but I can't see anyway to give the ASA credentials for DDNS, any tips would be appreciated.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

According to Cisco:

I have to say that I do not use Cisco kit, so this may be totally off... However is your DNS set-up correctly set-up and/or are you using AD integrated DNS with the "secure updates only" option turned on?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hi Ken

I spotted that quote earlier on and tried to ping DC -> ASA (success) ASA -> DC (success) so I was a little confused by the error.

I can confirm that the DNS is setup as should be, AD integrated DNS and secure updates only(tried secure and nonsecure to see if that was the issue but still failed so changed it back), I've also ran DC/NetDaig no errors reported and nothing in the event logs

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sorry for wasting your time Ken, it seems I'm trying to do something that DDNS isn't designed for anyhoo got the clients to update there own records.