Update on MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Still hadn't gotten round to taking the 680... was a little annoyed about no upgrade exam availability, but now that there is one, I think I'll go directly for the 682 :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. Col

Col Byte Poster

Just ordered the MS Press 70-680 book to start studying for the 70-682. I'm right in thinking that this would be a decent starting point, right?

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Why don't you finish the MCDST first, then the upgrade exam? As:

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Col

Col Byte Poster

oops. Got my MCDST last week. Forgot to update my WIPs. Plan is to do the upgrade and then maybe Security+.

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey gents,

quick bit of advice wanted.

I passed the 680 last week, should I do the 685 or the 682? I get 50% off of the 682 but obviously, I'm going to be going over the same bloody questions for part of the exam I imagine?

Also, are these upgrade exams just two exams questions crammed into one? with my 680, I got about 70% of the same questions the second time I took it (I still had no idea what the answers were to the ones I bloody got twice!!). So basically, will the 682 be 50% of questions taken directly from the 680 and 50% direct from 685? if it is a completely unique test then does anyone have any links to proper practice questions for the 682 (measureup) for example. If it is the former, then I will just keep going over my 680 practice exam and buy a 685 exam.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I also did the 70-680 (cause it was free), was considering the 70-685 or the 70-682. However decided to do the 70-686, maybe an option for you also?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Yea, was just about to ask on that one. And just skip out the EDT all together in exchange for the EDA. The exam seems a hell of a lot more difficult though. Actually looking at it. It seems to just focus on deployment.

I think I'll do the EDT now, as it's half price and the vouchers are only until June. Then I'll finish my MCSA Security. And then get cracking on some more of the TS and ITP exams.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Can anyone that has taken the upgrade exam confirm that both certs showed up on their transcript?
    Thanks!

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  9. Jack Hardcore

Jack Hardcore Bit Poster

I'd also very much like to know this.

I've a voucher to use and was just about to book my 70-680 but if 70-685 will upgrade my MCDST to MCITP Win7 whilst still giving me the 70-680 credit that I can use towards MCITP EA then I'll go for that!

Certifications: MCDST, ITILv3
    WIP: MCITP Win7, MCITP SA & EA
  10. Col

Col Byte Poster

Sitting my 70-682 on Saturday and was under the impression that it would count towards both certs. I'd also like to know from anyone who's already sat the exam if this is the case...

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why don't you guys e-mail Microsoft Learning and find out for sure instead of wandering aimlessly about waiting for a sign from the heavens? ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Col

Col Byte Poster

Curse you and your common sense suggestions!! I've actually just done that now. Will post the reply when I get one.

13. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Is there Microsoft press books out for exam 70-682?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  14. Jack Hardcore

Jack Hardcore Bit Poster

Update from MS chat today!

David: Exam 70-682: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician is currently not set up correctly in our certification database. Although passing this upgrade exam should result in MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 certification as well as the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification, the system is only granting the MCITP certification.

David: As a result, candidates who have taken and passed this exam will not see the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification on their transcript or be able to download the certificate; they will only see the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7 certification.

Murray: I see, will this be rectified?

Murray: 100%?

David: This will be corrected in our next certification database update which should be completed in September.

So although it does not give you 680 yet this is being rectified and it will by September! Bonus for me as I only have to do one exam to upgrade my MCDST to MCITP Win7 and this will also give me the 680 credit towards MCITP EA! :biggrin

15. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Great news. Guess I'll order both books then :)

16. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think im having a "blonde" moment,

so i have the MCDST, so from September if I do the 70-680 exam I will be a MCITP?

17. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

No. Then you will be an MCTS :mrgreen:

But you could take, for example maybe the 70-682, and then get both MCITP and MCTS :p

18. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thats more what i was looking for, So is their books out for exam 70-682?

19. Jack Hardcore

Jack Hardcore Bit Poster

No as it's 70-680 & 70-685 combined.... get those books and you will be fine :super

20. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Right im trying to get my head round this, if i take the 70-680 exam i become a MCT, if i take the 70-685 exam i become a MCITP?

so what is the 70-682 exam?

is that a combination of both 70-680 and 70-685 for people with the MCDST?

so if i wanted to upgrage from mCDST to MCITP i take the 70-682 exam? but still have to get both books to study from?

hope i have explained myself ok :)