Update on cancellation of £3225 course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mickaveli2001, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Well yesterday I cam home from work, I finally got a letter through from the training provider. It said the following:

We understand that you wish to cancel your course agreement for the above course reference

Provided that you have fulfilled the requirements of the general conditions of your student enrollment form, cancellation will be treated in accordance with condition six

In case of failure to meet condition six of the college agreement and/or should the student fail to return all the course materials to the college, the student will be liable for the full cost of the course and no refund deposit will be actioned.

The course advisor is no longer working in your area therefore we would kindly request that you return the course materials , quoting the agreement number. Please address your package "******, FREEPOST, ****,
    Luton, ****" which will allow you to return it free of charge, a certificate of posting is available from the post office upon request

NOTE: if you have signed a standing order mandate with the finance company please make sure you cancel this with your bank / building society. If you fail to do so, we cannot be held responsible for any bank charges you may incur

Freepost? Sure. I had to pay around £3.50 for a box big enough to fit the bag thing in, and around £2 for a roll of brown tape, and another £1.50 for a A4 pad to write a letter with my details to put into it.. So £7 roughly spent on this, not including the £4.60 spent on a recorded delivery letter, weeks prior to the Finance company, and another first class. So roughly around £12-13.

Another interesting thing is I will receive a refund if "condition six" is met... Condition six states that to receive the deposit refund, that I have to send written cancellation and all course materials within Seven days of signing the agreement. I signed it on the 23rd September, this is now the 14th October. I only got the training providers letter containing the address to send the materials on 13th October. I was hardly given enough time. It's not like I took my time. I had a recorded delivery letter and phone contact made the very next day after signing the agreement, and was on the phone daily all week that same week..

The letter I got yesterday was dated 7th October, and I sent materials off today, so it was on the 7th day from the date that I got the letter finding out where I could send the materials to. I hope that's the case, because if not, I was handicapped and had no chance whatsoever in sending the materials in on seven days since the agreement was signed.

& I have to laugh about the part where it says the course advisor no longer works in my area now. I bet if my next door neibour were to query about a course, that same one would pop round. Over 3 weeks, and still no refund yet, but closer (I hope) I would advise yet again for anyone querying about courses, is to request information packs, or have things sent out, to NOT have advisors "Salespeople" at your door because the art of selling is very convincing, and even if you plan on avioding arguments or them further talking you into it, and sign just in the hopes to cancel it within 7 days, DON'T, they will still grab a short deposit of £75 or more (or less) just to have you in this sticky situation, and will be fed lies, to find yourself in the actuality of it being more difficult than 'they (or the conditions slip) make it out to be to get the refund, probably to make you think "ahhhh f** it, I can't be bothered with all this hassle, I'll just stick with it"

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

From Dinner time tomorrow, I would hassle them until they tell you that you will get the refund.

And yeah that 'advisor' would be around your neighbours house if he inquired and he'd probably charge your neighbour a different amount to you for the same course.

Thanks for the update

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Interesting, good to know how u case is going.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  4. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hope things go well for you Mickaveli. At least £13 is better than £3225! :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  5. mickaveli2001

Yep it's a lot better. I'm planning on using that £75 towards either xmas presents (that time of year again) or towards a tattoo, so it all helps.

The conditions make a refund sound like a simple process, but in reality isn't, and isn't free at all - far from it - although £13 is better than £3225 lol. I believe they make it difficult as they possibly can, that law and regulation allows them to do, just to deter people away from pursuing a deposit refund, and doing the simple thing of just sitting back, and watching money come out the account each month

Then the refund, of course there's the little question of the £45 administration charge they say that they charge to cover admin costs, so I don't know what that will mean, hopefully I will get off paying that, because if not, at the end I'll be lucky if I see £15 of my £75 back. Fingers crossed it isn't though, and that's only after the seven days. the terms and conditions isn't spesifically clear about that part

6. mickaveli2001

Yep it's a lot better. I'm planning on using that £75 towards either xmas presents (that time of year again) or towards a tattoo, so it all helps.

The conditions make a refund sound like a simple process, but in reality isn't, and isn't free at all - far from it - although £13 is better than £3225 lol. I believe they make it difficult as they possibly can, that law and regulation allows them to do, just to deter people away from pursuing a deposit refund, and doing the simple thing of just sitting back, and watching money come out the account each month

Then the refund, of course there's the little question of the £45 administration charge they say that they charge to cover admin costs, so I don't know what that will mean, hopefully I will get off paying that, because if not, at the end I'll be lucky if I see £15 of my £75 back. Fingers crossed it isn't though, and that's only after the seven days. the terms and conditions isn't spesifically clear about that part, and I don't want to 'ask' the training proivder about it, incase it lights up red flags, and reminds them to take £45 off

7. greenbrucelee

£75 for a tattoo? how big is it going to be :D

I'd spend it on a curry and a piss up :biggrin

8. mickaveli2001

Soz double post there :blink

One I want will probably be around £200 due to the detail in it, but hoping it will be less. Average price I pay is around £85-100 for a decent sized one, but because of that, it's a rare occasion I even think of getting one, as much as I'd want more. Got a bonus at work this month as well as overtime added on top of that, so it's not too bad, got maybe an extra £80 this month once the overdraft and high extended Virgin bill carried over is paid off :D

9. greenbrucelee

I got Hong Kong Fooey on my leg for £25 :D

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

"This product is waterproof and it is powered by pizza."!!! If only everything was like that!...sigh :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  12. mickaveli2001

Chinese lettering?

I've seen those things in movies Darkstar, didn't know it might be a reality lol

13. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

They should develop one that runs on body fat

14. mickaveli2001

Finally got the full £75 deposit refund on Monday in my bank account, so I was pleased, but boy what a lot of running around

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

When it comes to tattooing price does not even come into it. If you want something done by a top quality artist then prices range anywhere from around £70 an hour upto £150 an hour. My last one was £200 for a 1and half hour session, that was for some script on the outside of my forearm.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290