Unwanted Programs running in the background

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I have some unwanted programs running in the background.
    One is a some type of speech tool. I dont know where it came from. And i have few other programs that load when Windows first starts could you tell me how to get stop these programs from automatically loading when I turn on my computer.

Thanks
    Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Try uninstalling unwanted programs and then check in Program Files for any part of the file left behind. If you don’t want to delete the files try this go to Start|Run and enter msconfig. In the window that comes up there is a tab called Start-up. Click that and you get a list of things that are loaded automatically when you turn on your computer. Uncheck the boxes that you do not want to run at start-up. It will not remove the program from your computer but it should help stop unwanted programs running.

:devilflam

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Once uninstalled, try something like Norton Utilities to sort out any broken links, invalid ActiveX controlls and unwanted Dlls.
    Or Crap Cleaner is quite good.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't forget that msconfig (type the name into the run box) will show most of the things being run, and where they are being started from.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+