unwanted e-mails

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by st giles, Nov 13, 2005.

1. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Hi there,
    Just a quickie. If somebody was recieving offensive e-mails and the sender was using someone elses e-mail address to send them is there a way of finding out the actual senders e-mail address?.

Admin (J): Thread moved.

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guess you could start by pasting the headers of the email on here and we'll take a look. If using Outlook, right-click the message, select Options, then go to the bottom, and copy the section called "Internet headers". If Outlook Express, right-click message, select Properties > Details, then copy the "Internet headers" section.

Paste on here, and we'll have a look, but if it is spoofed, there may be little way of tracing it's origin. Is the offensive content specifically aimed at the recipient, or is it a fairly generic " Your account has been suspended for illegal activity" type of cr@p ? Chances are it may just be the latest variant of MyTob, or some other cr@p like that.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

no. it's aimed at the recipient.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, depending on the spoofing technique used, then the recipient could simply do the above to trace the sender.

5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

there are some programs called tracers (i think) which you can hide in an e-mail and send it back, if they are using a spoof e-mail account kinda like a proxy and picking up from there, the tracer will be opened when they open it and should send it's location to you.

however i have only read little bits about it but if the mail is serious enough, try the cops?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

ok. cheers chaps.

7. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

I would have to get him to e-mail me the message and then copy the address of the original. would it still work and could you still look at it

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

If he forwards you the message as an attachment, and you then open the attached email and do as above, then yeah, the info will be there. Of course we'll take a look, m8 :)