Unwanted ARP....

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by kammodo, May 1, 2009.

1. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Hello, Last night I was experancing quite slow download speeds again from my ISP.
    I have a 10meg cable connection wich obviously is shared bandwidth unlike adsl.
    However I was curious to see why the bandidth had all but dried up, so I ran wireshark on the inside global address facing the ISP. To my surprise, my computer is recieving hundreds of ARP requests every second. Should I be seeing everyones ARP requests in the neighbourhood? Couldnt this open up holes like man in the middle attacks? Just wanted to know if anyone knew the reason why this was happening as I thought my connection to the ISP had some sort of limited security. Which means probably everyone in the neighborhood can see my ARP requests too. :eek:

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  2. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

I would have thought the ISP would be using the likes of community, isolated and promiscious ports to limit traffic spread

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  3. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Yes, it's normal for you to be able to see everyones ARP requests and yes they can see yours as well. Depending on how much traffic there is, there might or might not be an issue with one or more systems causing excessive broadcast problems.

Hopefully your ISP can help you determine just where the issue resides. Also, just so you know..you only see Broadcast traffic, not unicast traffic. You can't see nor can your neighbors see your traffic to the internet and back.

However; I agree with you, there are lots of L2 MAC based attacks and such that can re-switch packets to a 3rd party. Not likly, just sayin.

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure