Unsurprisingly, IE9 won't be supported on an obsolete OS

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Unsurprisingly, IE9 won't be supported on an obsolete OS

Internet Explorer General Manager Dean Hachamovitch all but confirmed today that the next version of Microsoft's Web browser, Internet Explorer 9, will not be supported on Windows XP.

Hachamovitch stopped short of explicitly saying that XP would not be supported, but said that building a "modern browser" required a "modern operating system." IE9 will be heavily dependent on hardware acceleration, courtesy of its use of Direct2D and DirectWrite; neither API is available on Windows XP.

Read it here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      Awesome
      now i cant wait for them to go x64 only ;)
    2. Sparky
      Sparky
      Steady on there mate. :biggrin
    3. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Damn. Does that mean I'll be stuck using Firefox on XP then? Oh... wait...

:twisted:
    4. Len
      Len
      Who uses IE anyways? dont answer that.
    5. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      I do, only because I have no reason to switch over to Firefox. Yet.
    6. LukeP
      LukeP
      Loads of companies because you can control it via group policy?
    7. Boycie
      Boycie
      I know you can install firefox via msi although not aware of any way of controlling it via group policy. I think the best you could do is to install firefox on a spare system, tweak it and then deploy the config file. probably be a fair bit of work...