Unsure of where to go

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by CharlieCharlie, Sep 23, 2009.

1. CharlieCharlie

CharlieCharlie New Member

Hello,

I am 30 years old and have extensive knowledge and experience in IT Support (6+ years). For the last year, I have been unemployed but running my own Local IT business, fixing computers, setting up wireless networks etc.

However, I can't live on this so am looking to go in to the network side of things and have decided to go for a MCSE and/or MCSA. I've been in touch with two firms, Computeach and Joskos and have been quoted £1650 and £2000 respectively. From what I can make out, all the two companies do is offer you the learning material, through in a few mock tests and a little support but nothing more.

My question is, is it possible to do this myself? I've seen a MCSE course on Learndirect for only £50 along with a few other courses that seem relevant. I am an excellent learner and have plenty of time on my hands and know a lot of the stuff already due to past experience. But I'm really confused to go with a training provider or go it alone. The large fee is putting me off, but I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for reading and any advice will be gratefully appreciated! :D

2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Personal opinion only, but the training provider paths look really expensive. Plenty of people have passed MCSA and MCSE exams through self study, for the cost of the books, a lab setup and the exam fee. Also, check out your local college, as they sometimes offer courses, for a lot less than training providers. If your currently unemployed, and are signing on, try your luck with the job centre, and see if they will cover some of the exam costs.

I didn't realise Learndirect offered 70-290 courses, I just looked, and for £50, thats not too bad. I'll mention them at work today, so thanks for that.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. CharlieCharlie

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your reply (even if you do support west ham :p)

I'm veering more and more towards the self study side of things. Is it just a case of doing that one module 70-290 to get MCSE/MCSA certified or do I have to do other modules like 70-270?

Apologies if this is all covered somewhere else, but I've looked and can't find any clear info on it.

Charlie

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, you can absolutely do the MCSA/MCSE by yourself, provided you have 6/12 months of experience administering servers. If not, the certification alone won't take the place of a lack of experience.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. CharlieCharlie

Thanks for your responses

Decided to go the self study route and am going to start with the CompTIA A+ on LearnDirect at £50 per module.

Does that sound right? Am I missing anything, or is it just a case of doing the studying and then booking the test?

Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. ooberman

ooberman Bit Poster

Hi Charlie

If you are going to go the self study route on the A+ I recommend you get the mike meyers all in one 6th edition. It will have everything you need to pass the exam and as you have quite a bit of experience I'm sure you will be able to just skim quite a bit of it.

Here is a link to it Clicky

There is also another book by Jean Andrews which is supposed to be very good also but I haven't read it so can't give my opinion on it.

Also be aware that the current exams are being retired next year, february 28th in the US and Canada, I can't seem to find confirmation when they are retiring them for the UK though, Hopefully someone else will know the correct date (I'd also check with comptia yourself to be sure) . So be sure to leave yourself enough time to pass the exams.

Good luck
    Gez

Certifications: A+
    WIP: ???
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

self study is where you get the books teach yourself and book the exams yourself and not pay someone to give you the books.

it'll be much cheaper than any company believe me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?