Unrealistic to go for a CCNP first?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zr79, Apr 14, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

So i know a lot of the CCNA material but still have a good bit of learning to do there, would it be totally unrealistic to bypass the CCNA and study for a CCNP?

Certifications: A+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If you know a lot of the stuff already, then you could study the remaining aspects, and get yourself the CCNA.

Certs are supposed to certify a skill. They arent really intended to be used to learn material, rather to back up what you are capable of doing (ie, you certify against your skills, not learn skills in order to certify). They are used to learn commonly though.

I would suggest get the cert that you are (almost) at the level to achieve already. Then you can continue on to the CCNP.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

considering a valid CCNA cert is a pre-requisite to doing CCNP then yes, i'd say unrealistic :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Well, philosophically I agree with Fergal. But to answer your question most directly:

Yes, it would be unrealistic for you to go for your CCNP before your CCNA. Why? Because the CCNA is a prerequisite of the CCNP. Can't have a CCNP without a valid CCNA.

Cisco Learning Link

Can verify what I mean there. Hope that helps.

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ah, didnt know that. But then, Cisco isnt my field :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Yeah, their right need to get CCNA done and dusted before you even think about CCNP as it's required before you sit it. Sometimes I think the CCNP stuff is easier than the CCNA but.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

That doesn't mean you can't take the CCNP exams, you just won't get certified until you pass the CCNA. That being said, do you have Cisco experience already? I wouldn't recommend taking the CCNP exams until you get some hands-on experience with routers and switches. If you do have some experience with routers and switches, I say go after the CCNA and then worry about taking the CCNP courses when you've had a chance to use your "CCNA skills".