Unreal

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Sep 14, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I got a game given o me called unreal tournament, which needs 200mhz processor and 64mb ram, it doesnt mention anything about a graphics card.

Now my lappy is a core 2 duo 1.6 and has 2 gig ram, and has a graphics media accelerator etc.

Now the game runs but with 2 problems, i can have it so that the game runs without crashing but the sound its crap or i can have it so the games freezes then crashes the comp

Am i to take it it will need a graphics card to be able to have both working greaat

ED

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I doubt it. UT is a fairly old game, so that laptop shouldnt have any problems with it (even factoring in that the graphics is stealing some RAM, etc).

I would suggest that the problem is compatibility issues rather than anything else. The original UT (if thats what you have of course, but since thats all you called it, I have to assume it is) was designed to run on Win95 I believe. Win95 games tended to have problems running under XP (and I would assume that Vista is similar) - at least Red Alert did.

Try running if in Win95 Compatibility mode and, if that doesnt work, install the UTGLR graphics driver for OpenGL (Here)

Edit: To keep CF right, I should point out that that last paragraph was obtained from the UT wiki page, Here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

when you do get it going it is a fantastic game! I bought in 1999 and even now I still play online!!! It's a good laugh!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Also there is a patch for the D3D driver somewhere - fully patched up it should work like a dream!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I used to run this game under XP before SP1 but as Fergal says, try compatibility mode.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry, they suggest installing the Enhanced OpenGL Renderer for UT, but given that you're using a laptop it's hard to say if anything will work.

Also get the latest patch for the game!

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.