Unpaid part time

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by timk, Apr 5, 2009.

1. timk

timk New Member

Hi all,
    Im currently in the Armed forces,working in IT.
    Ive just started a Bsc (open),and am due to do CCNA over the next year with other courses being run by work.I'm 35 and will be leaving the forces in about 6 years.Hopefully over this time I will be awarded the degree and lots of job related courses,which will be good but I will mainly be working with legacy systems.
    My question is would you advise trying to get into a large local company maybe 1 day a week when possible to gain some knowledge in how the real world works and to give me a better chance of securing a decent job when i finally leave.
    Do you think its something a company would be interested in,bearing in mind im not after payment but on the flip side I wouldnt be able to commit 100% as I do have to deploy abroad for months at a time.

thanks
    tim

2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I've had problems trying to do this myself, the reason is liability, if your looking for an internship many do not want to offer this because they don't want to pay anything, even the smallest salary, and they do not want to hire you for free because you can not be held accountable unless you sign a non-disclosure act which can be hard to convince a manager of doing. What I recommend is going to a local charity and asking them if you can volunteer your services occasionally this will net you that experience your after just as well, maybe just not in the same locale as a big office.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. timk

timk New Member

thanks,you wouldn't think it would be that hard to give away free time:)

4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I was actually talking to the regional manager of my local ISP for about 3 weeks and it turned up that they couldn't hire me on as an intern for FREE because his boss was worried about the non-disclosure letter. I literally spent at least 10 hours on the phone trying to land this wanting to give away my time for FREE and they wouldn't budge, they did however say they would hire me full time if I wanted, but I couldn't because of child care issues. :cry:

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya Timk, think I'm in a good position to answer this one for you mate. I did my degree with the Ou. IT and Computing. Took me 6 years part time but worth it. I work with Legacy systems now, 10 years with Mainframes.

You are doing all you can do by getting your degree and the CCNA is very highly thought of. My birds sisters fella was in the Kings and when he left they helped him get a job in telecommunications and he hasn't got a degree or CCNA.

Short answer is I think you'll get good support from the Army once you leave but while you're in I think its great you are bettering your education as this will increase your job prospects once you get out.

Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. JK2447

Sorry I didn't answer your initial question. Don't kill yourself working all hours for free on top of serving your country. The Army will help you when you get out

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. timk

timk New Member

thanks,i guess im worried that by the time i leave i will be 41 and the thought of starting at the bottom (worse case scenario) with all the normal drains,mortgage kids etc will be bloody hard.I just want to give myself the best chance possible of starting higher up the ladder,but without some real industry experience I understand that companies may not be be full of confidence in my abilities.
    Hopefully by the time I leave, the economy will have taken a turn for the better.:)

8. JK2447

Don't forget, don't do your CCNA until a year before you leave because you are supposed to recertify as a CCNA every 3 years

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I did exactly what you describe about five years ago with a small company and it worked for me.
    You will gain experience only possible in the workplace. It shows potential employeers you are really commited - i mean, working for free; you don't get more commited than that!

Best of luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. timk

timk New Member

im doing the CCNA as part of my degree,but when I do my advanced trade course with work in a couple of years we do the CCNA + MCSE courses as the training camp we do them on are recognised Academies:)

11. timk

timk New Member

Thanks
    I'm trying to get hold of someone at the southwest branch of BCS to find a company in plymouth I can contact.

12. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Have you tried the local schools? I work in a school, and we've had a work experience lad from the local Uni work with us for the last 12 weeks. He needed a CRB check, which he already had, but normally takes a few weeks, but he's gained some valuable experience, and has been a real asset for us.

Worth a shot

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  13. timk

timk New Member

Thanks ,thats worth a look.
    Ive already got my CRB so thats one less hurdle.

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Drop a PM to UKDarkstar.

Its his neck of the woods and he has a lot to do with the BCS.

15. timk

timk New Member

Thanks,Ive managed to get hold of someone today who's going to pass my number to a colleague at BCS.

16. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

I cant help you directly, but i have recently left the marines, looking at going in to higer education as my work has fell through. Anyway the support i am still getting is top notch, you get advisors for life, they help you out with all sorts of work if you need it, also dont forget about your learning credits, they can be used up to 10 years after you leave, once a year i think you can claim as long as it is a level 3 or above. Also look at the CTP website, they have jobs just for armed forces all round the world. Look at all the job sites for ex forces. If you need some PM me and i will give them to you.
    Also look at the arrse forum. Its just for exmilitary here is the link, it has loads of advice and people in the same situation. Defo worth a look.

www.arrse.co.uk

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  17. timk

timk New Member

Thanks mate,
    im using my ELC at the mo.As im not leaving for a while yet,im trying to boost my employability before i need to contact CTP (i have heard some good things though).
    Were you doing IT with the Marines?

18. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

nah mate, i was a sniper and radio operator, as i said i have just left 27, but looking at going in to higher education doing a HND or something, have to wait and see.
    I highly recommend joing the arrse forum though, loads of advice on there.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS