Unix printing question

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by flex22, May 5, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

If I needed Unix clients printing to a Windows 2000 print server, what would I need to enable this.

There's not a lot on this in ym book, so am asking here.

I know there's something about LPR, but can someone explain this more clearly for me.Like what the heck is it.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Flex, I don't actually think you'll find there's too many Unix clients out there - it's more a Server system. (Will stand corrected as always if wrong).

HERE is a link that might be close to what you're asking.

HTH :)

EDIT

HERE is a better link actually, Flex, from Microsoft.

As I thought, but was too scared to say - LPR=Line Print Remote.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I found that link through google also Jak.

At first glance it doesn't answer this specific question I have to answer, but I shall study it further to see if I missed anything.

I'm sure your right about not seeing many Unix clients in the real world, but the darlings at MS still reckon I should know all about it with these :cussing questions :!:

It's ok, it's ok, I cool, I'm chilled :afro

Deep breaths, repeat after me, these questions AREN'T affecting my mental stability, they ARE helping me.....................

Edit: I'll check out the other link also, and report back, thanks :!:

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No, I think you'll find that MS questions do affect your mental stability :cry:

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

the problem is while most of us work in small/med companies with a pretty fast migration turn around, most large orginsations are still using systems that are 8 - 10 + years old, JP Morgan for instance are still in the testing phase of transitioning there NT4 domains to an Active Directory, at the same time they are trying to consolidate there Netware forests into one branch, this is something they are having to do with no downtime, and over 200'000 user objects in some instances
    in these type of environments they still use Unix in ALOT of places, workstation and server and although its a small percentage of places, they have a large percentage of machines :)

just clarifying :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, I'm just glad to learn and gain more insight into the real world IT scenario, Phoenix - cheers Mate :)

7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Just load up the Unix printing services from the OS CD and you are running. Also know as the LPD your online help (Resource Manual / MS support pages have all the help stuff) :lol:

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

To Sandy you must listen to. The force with him it is <best Yoda voice>. Seriously though, Sandy is a total UNIX guru so if he doesn't know...nobody does.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Just to resurrect this thread (cos I can, lol) I think we need to ascertain what is needed on a W2K computer with a printer attached for UNIX clients to be able to print to it.

The other way around seems to be covered in course materials etc etc i.e. installing Print Services for Unix on a W2K server and LPR port.

So what do you guys think? LPR monitor on the printer server? Any takers for this (UNIX gurus welcome!)

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

Good to see this tread back :!:

Cartman can you define what you consider to be "UNIX clients" :?: Are they really UNIX hosts (a device on a network with an IP address) sometimes a server

In a usual UNIX environment screens telnet onto the server. To confuse the issue these are normally PC's running some sort of terminal emulation software, so not to freak out the users. The way in which you usually (there are several ways) set up printing is via the print spooler then out to a print daemon then off down the line be it serial or IP, e.g. JetDirect.

As you are looking at it from a Microsoft centric way the course material will always ask what do you need on the Windows machine. You will need the Printing Services for UNIX loaded. I strongly suggest this goes on your Print Server as if you put it on a PC an the user gets a new IP addy or turns off the PC then stop goes your printing.

BTW - I hate printing :!: It always causes problems :idea:

11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

:iagree :peace

What about drivers :?:
    Let's say you have a Windows print server accepting print jobs from Unix clients (unix clients that aren't connecting to a Unix server to function).

Would the Windows server need the drivers specific to Unix, or is the Unix service alone enough :?:

12. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Sandy, I wish I could be more specific for you, unfortunately it seems with Microsoft exam questions they tend to deal in generics.

By UNIX client, I suppose any machine that is within the UNIX environment, so that could be a PC with an emulator or a dumb terminal or even a UNIX server.

We have to know how any UNIX client could successfully print to a PC within a W2K environment with a printer attached (the PC could presumably be running W2K Server as the question comes from the server question set), so I guess notwithstanding the complexities involved in pointing the UNIX client to the print server, the answer should be to install Print Services for UNIX on the W2K server machine (for the purposes of getting the right answer for the question!) - and sharing the printer out.

Also wondering if LPR monitor (if such a beast even exists - it might be a red herring) needs to be installed as well.

Sorry - why use 10 words when 10000000 will do.... :roll:

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I'm just wondering at what point normal sentence formation left this Thread altogether ? :eek:

14. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Shurrup Gav, you're not helping!!!!

:gun

15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Windows provides the drivers!

Unix Box ---> Windows Printer server ----> printer

The print has the printer headers and other stuff added to say what it is and where it is going on the UNIX box then passes it to the LPD running on the Windows. UNIX does not know that the LPD is a Windows server!

The Windows print server reads the header picks up driver data and sents the print to the printer. Who wakes up and says i have a print to do I had best get on with it :!:

Any chatter between the printer and the UNIX print spooler is done via the LPD.

16. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

No problem Cartman.

All processing on a UNIX box is done on the box :!:

I have never heard of a LPD monitor - but not to say it don't exist. I use Windows to get my printing info :)