University of the People degree?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has thought about getting a degree via the University of the People (UoPeople)? I've been watching them since their inception and this year they got accredited by DETC (which is more of an American thing).

It doesn't seem to be a diploma or degree mill, especially since the likes of Microsoft, HP, etc have partnered up with them. But to be honest, that says more about the value of what they are delivering, rather than if their qualification (the bit of paper in the end) is recognised.

It's not a 100% free program as there is an application fee and end of module exam fees. But comparing it to degree programs in the UK, it looks like it's about the same cost as one module/course (which is a considerable saving).

What are your thought on this?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never heard of it, what is it ?

Modules for computer science look ok, good range topics.

I've been doing a lot of Coursera and Edx stuff.

Udacity also looks decent, but is not free, and I've been too busy with the other two.

My main concern given what has happened with certifications, is that offering degrees using purely unproctored online examinations is somewhat dangerous.

Its likely to make the degrees worthless, which would be a real shame for anyone that passes legitimately.

It appears designed for developing nations, such places cannot afford anything like UK university costs.

What I think would make more sense in general in the UK would be to allow blended learning and for people to earn credits in various ways. They should then be able to trade those credits for a qualification. Such a scheme would allow maybe 30% credits to come from online distance learning. Basically you would allow the first year of a degree to be undertaken online distance learning. You would however ensure that 30% of the credits (preferably the advanced level 3/4 credits) come from courses where there was real examination and assessment by a human.

By creating a market for further education, based on modules and credit transfer, you could also open up the market for lifelong learning. This would allow many people access to further education that don't fit the current model that's aimed primarily at middle class adolescents.

As an adult I should be able to attend maybe 6+ institutions over a prolonged period, possibly in different geographical locations, and then trade those credits for a qualification.

I don't believe you will get a modern workforce from the current system, its too expensive and inflexible.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014