Uni Stuff

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Sep 11, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

well im about to repeat my second year. Not throguh partying or stuff like that, genuinely i was ill , my kidneys gave up and now im on dialysis every day for 10 hours.

One thing im having to do to repeat the year is a learning agreement, and also were going to have to sit in a class for an hour to do all this, but for me i cant see the point. Theres a few of us apparently, and me and one lad have genuine reasons for having to repeat, the others im not sure etc.

But this learning agreement things is bothering me as there was no way icould of forecast anything that went on and even though i tried to complete coursework, being in and out of hospital like a yoyo took its toll. Just wondering if anyone had a similar situation in repeating??? The only reason im asking is because im thinking the tutor is who is taking the induction lesson, may be one of them sort of people who would tar everyone with the same brush, which i know would wind me up to the point were my bp goes up te wall. Or maybe im paranoid????

spose im tarring him with the same brush as recently, the people who are paid to sort stuff out for you or assist you through uni life seem to have this, ' oh its anouther student attitude'. I was asking a lady aboutmy finances on the helpdesk and clearly told her i was repeating the year, and while shes talking to someone from academic registry on my behalf, she asked if i was repeating the year, i said yes after already telling her. She then said oh, hes changed his mind, hes repeating, which mifffed me right off, then said i could go up stairs. then i heard her behind my back , there all the bloody same. Cheeky bitch

Anyway got aform from the registry office, and had to see her again, left with a parting shot of ' well see were not all tthe bloody same are we.

Sorry

Rant over

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Ed - sorry to hear about your ailment - been following it through the forums over the past few months :(

I fell ill at the end of my first year at uni, I was hospitalised for some time, and ended up hugely messing up/failing my end of year exams. I wasn't the top of the class by any means, but not only did it knock my confidence it also had a knock on affect for the following year. I was constantly trying to play catch up to get my head around subjects that I should have mastered earlier - in the end, I fell so far behind I made the decision to drop out of my 2nd year and reconsider my options (something part of me now wishes I did end the end of the first year).

After 6 months out, I changed my degree and went on to do 3 years (on top of the 2 already done!!!) and eventually graduated. My new tutor was a right PITA and always treated me as a drop out, as did quite a few of the support staff (finance, records etc.) The only person that didn't was my thesis tutor, who really didn't give a damn, he purely was interested in the research that he and I were doing together - a most refreshing feeling!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Before the Army, I had a short stint in college. Although it doesn't compare to what you're going through, wisdom teeth surgery took me out of action about 2 weeks before final exams, and I never took two of them because I was so far behind. After getting out of the Army, I started over in college and did well.

Don't let what others think get to you. They're human... and we humans tend to act like that. We shouldn't... but many do. Just let it roll off, man. Someone who will snipe you is not worth worrying about.

You may not be able to see the point of the extra work you have to do for the learning agreement, and I know you believe you have extenuating circumstances (and you very well might), but everyone else believes that too. The university can't really make an exception for one person; once they do that, they're on a slippery slope of making exceptions for everyone.

So, my suggestion is to jump through their hoops, play their game, and fulfill their requirements. When you're done, nobody can tell you that you didn't earn your degree legitimately, or were given special dispensation, you know? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Best advice I can give you is to do the work if you can, pass the course then shove your results her ****ing face, thats what I'd do anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why bother? What makes her worth the effort? To "prove her wrong"? :rolleyes: Who cares what she thinks? Just do the work and be satisfied that you did it despite the negative opinions of some people.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Agreed. I'd just ignore her and crack on regardless. You're only going to be making the problem worse if you try to wind her up.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA