Unfair meeting hours?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by toppo, Aug 14, 2014.

1. toppo

toppo New Member

Hi all,

I have been working at my current company in London for 4 years, I got a transfer to an Asia-Pacific office and a promotion to senior tech support. All sounds very good until my London manager wants to me join his monthly meetings (every last Friday - Payday) for an hour or so. The problem is that I am 8 hours ahead of London and he still expects me to join his meetings via conference. I will be reporting to my IT manager in Asia but London manager wants me to be in meetings at my 10pm just because I am now "senior".

Has anybody been in this position before? Does a manager have any right in demanding an employee to be conferencing in to his meetings at 10pm??

I would love to know your opinions on this one.

Cheers!

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Promotion = increase of responsibility in role.

One of my mates, because he is in a more senior position than before, now doesn't get paid overtime.

Me, one of the biggest changes to my contract was that my notice period increased from 1 month to 3, plus I do not get paid overtime.

Now I don't know what your contract actually states, but if that is expected of the role and is included as part of the T&C that you agreed to when accepting the promotion (knowing that you are working for an international company). You may not have a say in the matter (unless you want to return to your previous position). You could have a word with the manager to try to come to some sort of agreement (eg attending two out of 4 meetings a month), but considering that a lot of other large international and national companies would normally operate some sort of 24h shift pattern and expect their staff to work that, I'm not sure that an hour a month is a lot to ask for.

But then again, I'm not in your situation (and like I said, I don't know what your contract states), so you can always take what I say with a pinch of salt :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

One meeting once a month out of hours – if you want to go anywhere in your current company just get on with it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Its the same in my company. The higher you go the more responsibility and demands placed upon you. Team Leaders in our place pretty much can be called any time day or night for no extra pay. Your situation does sound harsh but I would just go with it. It could be that after a few meetings it becomes obvious the content does not pertain to you and you can put forward a case to be excluded. As the guys say tho. There are a great many perks to rising up through the ranks.... this sounds like one of them

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    wagnerk likes this.
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Tell them to get stuffed! I hate it when companies promote you, give you more money, allow you to see the world, learn new skills and experiences and then turn around and expect you to join a conference call at 10pm once a month and on payday!

Quit and go somewhere where they value and respect you.

Certifications: A few.
    jk2447 likes this.
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you have his mobile number? If so then turn it around when you think he needs to know something and call him during your morning time, he will soon get the idea that different operating hours mean different ways of working.

Failing that then sorry, your working hours are your working hours and 10pm on a Friday is not what I would call a good work\home life balance.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. toppo

toppo New Member

Thanks for everyone's input so far. We have a two other senior techs in Europe and they would not have bothered if they were in my situation. The managers arguement is that I am senior and its only one day a month but if I join I will be so tired on the video conference and it is just sad that I have to join at 10pm.

He wants to know what is happening at the APAC region but I am going to suggest sending him monthly reports as an alternative.

What disappoints me is that said I need to join one way or another but I report to my APAC manager not him. He failed to accept I am 8 hours ahead of him. This has been bugging me for a while now.

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If you report to your APAC manager, can you not ask him to intervene on your behalf? Whilst I personally think one hour on one night once a month isn't too much to ask, if it's affecting you that badly then it will affect your performance, therefore it would be in the best interests for your APAC manager to argue a different solution on your behalf.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    jk2447 likes this.
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

I have to say, this seems suspiciously like the London Manager over stepping his bounds to be honest, the APAC manager should be able to intervene on the basis the London guy doesn't need to know a damn thing about whats happening in an entirely different region.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10