Unemployed Diogenes from Belgium's introduction

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Unemployed Diogenes, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

Hello everyone, I start just studying for the MCDST certification. I'm 35 and I wonder if I'm the oldest poster here who never works in IT before??

I was postman and had to stop work because of a problem with my back :x So now I'm unemployed and I go to try to find a job in IT. The last 3 years I studied evening shool and gets in juni a bachelor degree IT networking.

Recent I start also studying the Microsoft 70-271 exam with the training kit from MS. I read half the book now and did yesterday a transcender test. I got 55%, so that's not good but I'm sure I gonna get it!!

Thing I'm a little affraid of is that corporations not gonna give me an entry-job cause I'm 35 years old. But I gonna give myself half a year to search a job as desktop support technician and study at home in that time...

Follow weeks you can see me posting in the MCDST section for questions I think.

Sorry for my English also, my native language is dutch and I don't speak often English. I remark my English skills increasing by reading the Microsoft book. Now I installed also my OS and Applications in English language.

So that's it for today :)

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Do not worry about your age there are plenty of people on this forum who are 20 years your senior and havent been working in IT long. So thats not a problem

Have you considered doing the compTIA A+ and N+ before the MCDST as they will give you agood grounding for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Unemployed Diogenes

I decided to start immediately with MCDST because I did almost have a Bachelor degree IT-networking and that study covers the A+ en N+.

I followed also CCNA academy at school and pass. But we don't get the official CCNA certificate on school. I also get the official certificate after MCDST i suppose.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Just keep studying until you understand all of the concepts then try a couple of practice exams to help you out. Do you have the MS press books? as they are good tools for studying the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Unemployed Diogenes

Yes, I have the 70-271 MS Training kit book (read it half in 1.5 week now). It takes a lot time for me cause English is not native language, was difficult in begin but it goes better and better.

I've downloaded also an ebook with 70-272, but when I pass 70-271 I'll buy the 70-272 book also.

6. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hallo en wilkom! (Ik praat nur een beetje nederlands) :oops:

My sister, who lives in Amsterdam, has been trying to persuade me to move there - what is the IT job market like there?

Age shouldn't matter too much, my old line manager didn't start in programming till he was your age.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  7. Unemployed Diogenes

Actually I live in Antwerp (Belgium), that's another country than Amsterdam (Netherlands), but I think the market is the same. The IT-market is booming here the last two years again, so that is good.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, I'm 53 and started studying for a technical career in my mid-40s, so no, you're not the oldest by far.

Welcome to CertForums. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Ah sorry, when you said Dutch... I've been through Antwerp many times on my way to visit my sister (back when she lived in Breda).

That's good news about the job market - I'm planning to leave England once I've done enough certs and my current daily torture at work is over :rolleyes:

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  11. Unemployed Diogenes

Breda, I come also somethimes...
    Like the coffeeshops there (which are forbidden in Belgium) :biggrin

12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum... :sunny
    Age is just a number, nothing to be concerned about.

Good luck with the career change. 8)

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm 38 - I got my official start in IT about 10 years ago. :)

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

15. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & Welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

There are a couple of that are older and have made the move to IT from being a postman.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  19. Unemployed Diogenes

update:
    I've stopped the 70-271 certification, because I found an entry-level ICT Job which was for me more important than the cerfifications. It's a nice job. I'm netwerk admininstrator for a small company and have also the ability to learn make websites in ASP.NET there.

I'm learning CCNA now, because I need it for my job. :p

Hope many others here find there entry-level job. It's also possible without certifications. Just let see that you know enough for doing the job you wants to do. But I lives in Belgium. Maybe in other coutry's certifications are more important?

And for the older people without experience: don't give up. I'm 36 and had no experience in ICT and also me find a nice job.

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Congratulations, it just goes to show that if you keep on trying you can succeed!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada