unemployed ccna in london desperate...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by richie_potts, Jun 16, 2005.

1. richie_potts

richie_potts New Member

Hello good cisco people i've recently passed my ccna exam(well over a month now).I paid a lot of money for it with a job guarantee at the end.alas training provider wanted me to lie on c.v as i have a manual labour history.
    can any1 tell me is this normal.?
    ive been hammering london with my c.v but just can't get a break.I'm goin frantic and so desperate for work and experience im considering volunteer work but dont even know how to get that :( :( :(
    Is there a sain or a genius in ere had same probs maybe even or any1 who can help with advice or some sort of direction any help would be great im goin crazy..
    I scared 920 on my first try and thought that was quite good but why can't i get work??

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings Richie. Welcome to CertForums. Congratulations on the CCNA pass. Sorry you are having troubles getting a job. I agree that it's not right to lie on your CV and if discovered, would probably end up with you getting sacked anyway.

Is the CCNA your only certification? I know the CCNA is called an "entry-level" cert but if you only have a CCNA and no experience, you will have a tough time getting a job working with Cisco equipment.

Usually the A+ and Network+ are better quals to have to get your foot in the door and get that first IT job. Once you're in, you can ask the more senior IT techs to let you give them a hand in the server room, perhaps giving you a chance to at least use some of the skills you acquired when studying for your CCNA and getting the experience needed to move into higher level positions.

Gone are the days when all you had to have was a certification in hand to get hired to administer routers and switches. There are alot of folks out their with a CCNA and previous work experience so you are in competition with them for the available jobs on the market. I've never lived in London but I can only imagine that the competition must be fierce.

Having said all that, I hope we can give you a hand in your pursuit of a job. Let us know how things are moving along.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. richie_potts

richie_potts New Member

thanks tripwire its nice to talk to honest guys since my tutors said whatever they thought we wanted to hear.
    I have an ecdl for about 2 or 3 years now and i have an A+ hardware and software ive built pcs from scratch and have my own wireless network at home
    cisco it aint tho haha
    i dont likel;ying in any form and think this behaviour shouldnt happen and i just feel for the others with no i t backgroud at all as i helped who i could in class with the skills i picked up quickly a lot of them i know will not pass and have lost over £7000 .
    this shouldnt be allowed to happen :x

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree, it is pretty unfortunate. If you search our forums, you'll find a lot of threads making statements similar to yours so you have a lot of company out there.

I apologize about my assumption that you were completely new to the field. Sounds like you have some experience in your background. I wish I could say there was a quick and easy way to score your next job. We've all been in that position, trying to find a way to earn a living.

If you have'nt considered it already, you might want to look into temp tech positions. My first breaks in IT were working as an independent contractor and being listed with various IT temp firms doing Ethernet rollouts and the like. Doesn't pay the moon but it's something.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. richie_potts

richie_potts New Member

i think my friends doing that.he passed not long after me but hes defense cleared so got his first job straight away hes on £140 a day for his 1st job and all hes been doing is building racks and screwing them in and attaching them to patch panels and sorting rollover cables.
    sits drinking coffe most the day and now he's been offered 2nd line within a week cos of his clearance even after telling them he has no experience.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If I understand it rightly, you have your CCNA and A+? Maybe go for the N+ too, you should be able to do it in a month or two with your background. Don't forget that building home networks and pc's for yourself and also for friends counts as experience. Put it on your CV as small home office networks. Do you help your friends with their pc problems?

As Trip pointed out, doing temp work maybe the way to get your foot in the door. That will get you a lot of experience in different areas of IT. Unfortunately it is a self defeating downward spiral, you can't get a job without experience and you can't get the experience without the job, but once you get the first one and show you can do it and learn then you will be asked for more jobs and then the spiral reverses and goes up.:D

Hit all the IT temp agencys and do it every week. Let them know you're interested and want to do it rather than just trying to get in it for the money (if there's any).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

Please tell me you did not spend seven GRAND on a CCNA course?

Certifications: GNVQ (Going Nowhere Very Quickly!)
  8. richie_potts

richie_potts New Member

I wish i could tell you that but the course i attended was meant to deliver A+ ECDL,N+ ccna and mcsa and a job guarantee
    All this for the measly amount of £7000 haha
    sorry i have to laugh or would cry as alls we got from the course was ccna they made excuses about all the other courses as they had foreign instructors who sat on msn all day long i have a long list of people who have a dispute with these people so if anyone out there is thinking of taking courses in London and are not sure who are what to check please feel free to e mail me even as my research was a bit late but i do have the facts now would definately suggest checking out at the very least who is accreddited with the iitt http://www.iitt.org.uk/ but dont just believe because they are accreditted they are good ! please feel free to e mail me for my experience at [email protected] :rolleyes:

9. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

£7k jeeezz that makes me angry - and I'm really sorry that you are having a hard time trying to find work. Some of these training providers give the industry a very bad name.

As said before I would reccomend temping and possibly doing your N+ by self paced methods or books and then going on to do the exams. For example the Mike Myers book is under £40 and gives you test prep and so on.

wishing you luck M8

Sarah

10. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Just to let you know bud that i have just started doing my certs with Scheidegger, A+ N+ CCNA CCNP, £3000 all in. I had shopped around quite a bit and foung that it is so easy to get stung, im probably being stung myself as i have since found out cheaper alternatives but they are all self study. Scheidegger is too but there is support there if you need it, dunno if its worth £3000 but they have been pretty good so far. May i add though that does not include exam fees!

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2