Undoing external hard drive partition.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pug-performance, Jul 9, 2008.

1. pug-performance

pug-performance Bit Poster

:blink This is doing my head in..basically i have a seagate 250gb external hard drive. My intention was to partiton the hard drive so i can create a back up image of all the content on my hard drive on to the new partition but the stupid back up software that im using says not enough space to create the back up even though its suggested it needed 52gb worth of space so i allocated 60gb just for arguments sake.

How do i deleted the 60gb partition and set back to default i.e. the full 250gb on one partition without losing all the content. Im using vista btw...ive managed to delete the partition but cant reallocate it to the main 180gb...

HELP PLS.

Certifications: ITIL Foundations
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Disk Management in Control panel is how you do this in XP, and I believe that Vista is the same. Note that using this tool will remove all data on the 60GB partition.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. pug-performance

Hi,
    Ive been in to disk management and deleted the 60gb partition but am uanable to allocate back to the original partition. When you check in 'My computer', all you've got is 180gb..not 250gb.
    Thanks

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Did you split this into a 60 and 180 as two separate drives?

If so you need to delete the 180 as well - then the whole drive will be made available.

If there is data on the 180 that you don't want to lose then you may need to either dump it elsewhere - or use a 3rd party partitioning software.

I'm *told* that it is possible in some versions of Vista to 'grow' a partition using Disk Manager - this wasn't possible in XP so I'm not certain about it. With XP you *have* to use a 3rd party app.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. pug-performance

yes i think so...rite so i will have to delete the 180gb aswell, want to avoid that if possible, too much data..will look in to the 'grow' option if possible or i will have to get another dirve, chuck it all on there and delete the seagate and start over..

thanks for the info.

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I believe that with Vista :

1) shrinking partition size is no problem

2) increasing can only be accomplished if the free space is situated at the end of a partition

(if that makes sense ?)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. pug-performance

umm..sort of, not really..sorry, lol

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can buy software to sort of your partitions such as partition magic.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the C: drive your 180GB partition? If the other 60GB is unallocated then all you need to do is right click on the C: drive in disk management and select 'extend partition'. That will give you one physical drive with one logical disk ( C: ) which uses the whole capacity of the drive.

Also I think the disk has to be basic for this to work.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. pug-performance

Hi Sparky, no this is an external hard drive which is allocated a G:drive. Im looking in computer management and 180gb is in blue.listed as active, primary parition and then 60gb is in black, unallocated. This is not my primary c:drive i.e what my os runs on, its a media drive.
    thanks

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahh, you should still be able to extend the partition into the unallocated space. Just right click on the 180GB partition in disk management and select 'extend partition' and you should get the option to extend the drive into the free 60GB unallocated space.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. pug-performance

Thanks for the suggestions guys...sparky i see what you're saying, i was going to select the extended option but didnt know if this was the right move to make but i will try it tonight and let you know if i have been successfull. cheers!

13. pug-performance

it worked...yaay..thanks sparky/people!