Understanding & administering GPOs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Obinna Osobalu, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Recently I had to configure/modify additional GPO on the PDC we earlier deployed for a firm. I kind of noticed that at the description of a particular setting which stated that if the setting appears both in the computer config and user config, the setting in the computer config takes precedence over the setting in the user config. That of course made me remember what I read from the 70-294 MSpress self paced training kit by Jill Spealman and Kurt Hudson which stated that if there is a conflict between the computer configuration settings and the user config settings, the user config settings are applied because the user settings are more specific.

But from my own observation I can only state that the settings in the computer config is more effective or if i should use the word specfic since it will apply to all computer regardless of who logs on..

Anyway if i may ask is there any instance were the user settings takes precedence over the computer config if there is a conflict....

Anyone:D.....

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You have sort of answered your own question as the computer policy settings takes precedence.

On the other hand if a policy is applied by a GPO and then linked to a computer then again the GPO policy takes precedence on the computer the user is logged on to.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Thanks for the input Onoski.... appreciate :)

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I always thought the saying really was:

Jesus Christ saves, Sabella scores the rebound.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Have you looked into whether loopback processing is enabled, if so what mode its in, this could be why the computers settings seem to be overriding the User settings.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What?

PDC

are you refering to NT (timewarp) :biggrin

or a PDC emulator. either way it's irrelevant. :blink

all DC's are equal, some are just more equal than others 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)