Undeliverables not giving the whole message

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Wright, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi,

One of the users at my place of work has tried sending an e-mail internally and received an e-mail back containing the following error message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject

The following recipient(s) could not be reached: ​

To me, it looks like it's Outlook (the e-mail client that he's using) spitting back a message after getting a negative from the local server (we use MDaemon, not Exchange). Why though? It's not domain specific (as I tried both to of our domains from my machine and received errors for wrong addresses)... nor is it to do with lists (although the user's error came when he e-mailed a list, my e-mails were both to non-existant e-mail addresses)... so it's just an error when sending to a non-existant e-mail address which is managed locally.

My question is: why is only half the delivery failure message being received? Not urgent on this occassion but for troubleshooting purposes in future I'd like to get this sorted.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this to happen?

Thanks,

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Not familiar with MDaemon, but are there any rules/message templates in place for NDR's?

Is there a tracking utility built in? If so, what does it display?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Zen Software Ross

Zen Software Ross New Member

Hi Alex,

Are you using the Outlook Connector plug-in with your Outlook client?

To me it simply sounds like you're emailing an invalid address to one of your local domain names. Due to the way the Outlook Connector plug-in is forced to interact with Outlook, it generates an NDR along the lines of what you're seeing rather than leaving it stuck in the Outbox as unsendable.

If in doubt though as with any email delivery issue, take a look at your MDaemon server's inbound and outbound SMTP logs (\MDaemon\Logs\MDaemon-yyyymmdd-SMTP-(in/out).log and see what is reported there. MDaemon's logging is comprehensive to say the least so it should be immediately apparent.

If MDaemon itself generated the NDR there would be a complete SMTP session transcript included in the NDR text showing what went wrong when MDaemon attempted delivery.

MDaemon's NDR template can be customised (it's a plain text file called DeliveryError.dat or DelErr.dat in the \MDaemon\App folder) however you really shouldn't need to modify that at all.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Ross.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Great post, thanks Ross!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Great post. Rep given. :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642