Uncertain as to what path to take.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mecha, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Well as the thread title says I am kinda uncertain. A short history is that I finished university (Computer Networking) back end of last year, I took my 601 (A+) but due to finances I didn't finish the rest of it (I don't think I'll even bother now, the content isn't to up to scratch IMO).

Now I am working as an IT Administrator for a finance company and they are wiling to fund my learning. The role basically is taking care of the help desk, but the task contain networking, desktop, email, server requests added with other server/networking daily duties..so it's not even just 1st lines, its more 1.5 line support!

I decided that I am going to do my MCDST (a month per exam should do it, as I am quite advanced with XP) to make sure I can carry on doing 1.5st line support to my maximum capacity. But after that I am stumped; as I do tasks on Windows Server 2003/08 and I find myself asking the higher ups: "how do I do this?". I DO want to basically be a Systems Administrator which in title isn't too far off what I do now, but in terms of tasks is a few steps away from what I am currently doing. This is why I am thinking of doing my MCSA.

Essentially I also wanted to get a little deeper on the network security aspect. Now of course some of you might be saying I should concentrate on one thing at a time, but of course the exams I take on the MCSA are dependant on what I choose to do (Messaging, Security, or vanilla), and work will need to know before hand what my plans are.

I really need some help as to what I should do in terms of future certification. I know I want to be MCSA qualified, but I just don't know when or how! I don't know if the MCSA is worthwhile? I don't know whether :security is worth it, coupled with Security+...Or Server+? (edit, I don't want to take Network+ mainly because the content again would not suit my goals, IMO)

What are the certification that people have taken here, who are in Systems/Network Administration

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

how about A+, N+ MCDST and S+, then after a bit more experience MCSA and if you progress further MCSE

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?