Unattended install using Setup Manager

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by SolidSponge, Aug 9, 2006.

1. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Hi guys

Quick question about the above. My PC has 2 hard drives. One 160GB with 2 partitions (C&D) and one 40GB 1 partition (F). I have XP SP2 on my 160GB HD and the 40GB is empty. I want to create an answer file so I can do an unattened install on to my 40GB drive, but apparently if I create the answer file from C drive it will install XP on C drive again. Is there anyway I can create it to install on F drive?

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hmmmm. I will go through the setup wizard but i think there is an option to specify the path for the install.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

you want to multiboot 2 Win XP? on one computer
    explain why you want 2 Windows XPx on same computer
    not sure you can multiboot 2 XPs

itdaddy

i know there is a part in the answer file
    that if set to forgot 0 or 1 i think 0 the unattend install
    will not format hard drive; but there should be somewhere in the unattend install file (google it) and see if you can point install to F drive..

not sure if you can multiboot 2 XPs i think it is only old and new you can multiboot on one PC
    :D

4. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

This should be doable...

I believe you can specify a path to the install but this will only put the boot partition there... i.e. Windows folder etc etc...

It will put the system partition... i.e. boot components and menu, on the first hard disk on the active partition so from what it sounds like it would probably just add menu entries to your existing Windows setup on your c drive... and then once it has booted it will read your new XP install from there...

Should be OK, providing you do not suddenly decide to wipe your C: drive, because it will take out your booting ability!!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  6. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hello solidsponge... there is a section in your unattend.txt that i think u can change to specify the partition, the first part of unattend.txt looks something like this:

u might have to change the AutoPartition or one of those parameters to specify the partition in which u want to install...

riaz

EDIT: i dont know if its AutoPartition bit though coz i think its specifying how many partition it should have...could be MsDosInitiated...not very sure

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  7. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Thanks for the help guys, I'll give them a try later.
    IT Daddy, yes you can multiboot 2 copies of XP. Reason I want to do this is so I can mess around with one of them for my 270 exam. I've got VPC, but it's just not the same. Will end up getting another PC eventually but I can't afford it at the moment and I really need to get cracking with the 270.

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  8. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

i also found out something which probably doesnt relate here as u r using probably just an unattend installation...u can stop RIS from blowing all your partitions and just installing on one by specifying a section in the answer file under a section called
    (this section is in ristndrd.sif...i couldnt notice this section in unnattend.txt though)
    if u change the Yes to No in both of them, when u start deploying, it wont blow off the partition and u can then manually specify which partition u want it to install windowsxp on...but i guess thats only for RIS...

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3