unable to pick up an address

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Boycie, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That would depend on how the available resources have been locked down. For example giving full control to the *everyone group* would allow these unauthenticated users access. That is one reason why you should control access to resources such as shares using *authenticated users* or something more specific than just everyone (all and sundry).

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I wonder if an IPSec policy would be an option? Whatever the device is that is plugged into the network would get an I.P address but all the traffic would be locked down.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/ispstep.mspx

Even if DHCP is removed there isn’t any reason why a static I.P can’t be used.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well it wouldn't prevent me from connecting, as one only needs to configure their laptop to respond to IPSec requirements when required. Bobs your uncle, all it does is encrypt the data on the wire. Hence sniffers can't read the traffic but as soon as it gets to the server or other client acting as a server it's unencrypted and back to normal.

No reason why a static IP can't be used, but it would need to be correctly configured - ie not one already in use and with the correct subnet mask etc. A good reason not to chose a common range like 192.168.0.x

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Getting back to this, it's probably a good idea to have a separate subnet with no routes configured to your main LAN - maybe in a DMZ with it's own DHCP scope that serves Ethernet outlets in cupboards or boardrooms, for guests to use. That way you could configure it to allow say web access but be able to keep them away from your corporate LAN servers etc.

5. Sparky

Yup, all the networks I support are on a 10.0.x.x range. The third octet is changed for each remote site and then each site is tunnelled back to HQ, there is a couple of 192.168.x.x networks in there that I have inherited from other companies but I’m not up for completely changing the I.P range for the sake of consistency! :biggrin

Getting back to Boyces original point, there appears not to be a simple way to lock down DHCP. Even if you do expect some more admin work and probably the odd I.P conflict as well! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Would an unauthenticated user be given access to any resources? Surely they would need an account in AD (as would the machine they are plugging into the hijacked ethernet port)?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. Sparky

No, a user account would be needed, one of the changes between 2k and 2003. There isnt any need for a computer account in AD as you would authenticate with user permissions.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Settings_Windows_Server_2003_Secure_Part1.html

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

NTFS and Share permissions are still the same, it's the defaults which have changed. So if someone configures things and changes the default settings you will be in the same boat.

9. Sparky

So for a random person to gain access to a share, an administrator would have to add the ‘anonymous users’ group to the share permissions as the ‘everyone’ group does not include this? This would also apply to the NTFS permissions.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It seems it all depends on how the server is configured. A new install of Server 2003 would not include the anonymous users group in the everyone group as Windows 2000 did, but the person installing Server 2003 may have upgraded windows 2000 and chose to make permissions backwards compatible. In this case it would be included. So you need to be aware of this..

Note; I think they meant Server 2003 not XP ;)

From here.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278259

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Boyce,

According to the RFC for DHCP, there is nothing stopping an unauthorized computer from obtaining an IP address and other IP configurations. This is why network security through counting exactly how many ports a certain room needs for the authorized computers and designing a proper switched and routed network to maintain security at the physical level is important.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. Sparky

Yeah, seems to be one of the ‘default’ changes between 2k and 2003, that and some services that are not started automatically. I noticed this the other day when trying to connect to a Exchange Server with POP and the service was disabled. 8)

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup, it's hard to keep up, things are changing as we are learning. That is the game, otherwise known as IT :biggrin

14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

@Pete & Sparky,

Thanks for clearing that up.:blink

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

great thread. thanks for all the input :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

One important thing to remember - if anyone has access to an open switchport on your network, and the network infrastructure is not well planned and configured, they will have access to your network, regardless of how you set up your dhcp server.

Simply sit and listen on the switchport and you will quickly find out the addressing used on the network. Even if the dhcp server doesn't hand out addresses freely, I would find an unused address and use that, very simple to do. And anyway, you don't even need a valid address for many kinds of exploits and mischief. Besides, anybody up to mischief would want as little trace left behind as possible, so getting an address from the dhcp server would often be avoided.

Turn the switch into a hub and sniff for logins and interesting traffic, dead easy to do, no address needed, and it gives the hacker want he needs to crack the servers.

The place to secure your dhcp addressing (and your internal network) is on the switch, not the server. Unfortunately, it is a rare company that has a proper, secure network infrastructure. Good infrastructure costs money, and IT budgets are always limited.

A few things that should be done:
    - Unused switch ports should always be disabled, or at the very least segregated into a seperate, untrusted network.

- Control the switchports. Control access through them, and make sure ports are locked down. There are many options available on quality switches to control the ports. 802.1x is a great tool, an excellent way of managing network access. Acl's (MAC and/or IP), storm control, etc. are also very important, and QoS as well. Rate limiting through CIR and policers can be valuable. Marking inbound traffic (eg DSCP) is essential for QoS, and useful for security as well.

- Manage the switch topology. Use features like BPDU guard, root guard, etc. to help prevent accidental or malicious topology changes.

- Monitor your switches. If you don't know what your switches are doing, you have no way of knowing what someone is doing to your switches.

Some things to consider to secure switches:
    - Dynamic ARP inspection to help prevent arp exploits.
    - DHCP snooping to prevent poisoning the DHCP binding database on the server, and to rate limit the dhcp traffic entering the port.
    - IP source guard to prevent someone spoofing another address on the network.
    - MAC address notification to let you know when something new connects to a port.
    - IGMP filtering to help control multicast joins.

Sorry for a bit of a off-topic post on switches in a DHCP thread, but I've had clients wonder why they should purchase a $2000 switch for their server farm when they can buy a 24 port rack mount switch for $100 :rolleyes: along with clients that want DHCP "secured" without actually securing the switches. I usually explain that securing DHCP is fine, but unless network access is controlled, it really won't matter much if DHCP is secure.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yes, having all unused sockets disconnected at the patch panel.:D Of course this doesn't stop anyone from pulling the plug out from one that is connected though.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685