Unable to connect to Internet!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am having a problem connecting to the Internet. I have a bellsouth fast access DSL connection. And my computer is running Windows XP. When I run Netscape I get “browser.netscape.com could not be found. Please check and try again” I called Bellsouth tech support and after all the diagnosing they decided the computer needed to be taken to a repair shop. One of the reasons they made this decision was because none of the devices on my computer were showing in Device Manager.
    So before I take my computer to the repair shop. Does anyone have some good suggestions.

P.S. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Both simple and complicated. Reformatting the hard rive. Reinstallation of software. Please feel free to leaven any type of message related to a fix.

Thanks
    Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Prof,

So the Device manager page is empty? :blink
    If it is, then i would try and use your XP disc to do a repair.

If it is just your modem missing then hang on! If your modem/router connects via USB then make sure it isn't listed under the USB part of device manager- there are quite a few subsections.

If your modem/router connects via a network cable then it won't show in device manager as Windows might not have any control over it. A lot of equipment doesn't even have any software, you control the unit via your web browser.

Give us some more info and see if we can help you...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Might seem like an odd question but how are you posting this?

Can you visit any other websites (try google or something).

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Found on another forum....

This should fix your problem Prof....

The group that needs to have the READ ONLY permissions is the Everyone group.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Just out of interest, what would cause this?

I remember working on a windows 98 system a few years ago that had the same problem with the device manager.
    Did a repair install which fixed it. Never did find out what caused it, not that i can remember now anyways.

Neall

WIP: A+
  6. ffreeloader

Neall,

Everything that I've read points toward some of the rpc vulnerability patches that Microsoft came out with. It looks as if the utility that populates the Device Manager depends on rpc calls and some of the patches break that communication somehow.

That's my guess anyway....

7. Professor-Falken

Ok so how do a Windows repair?
    Right now I am connecting to the Internet via my laptop computer.

Thanks again,

Professor Falken

8. ffreeloader

You don't have to do a Windows repair. I posted the exact instructions on how to fix your problem.

9. Professor-Falken

Ok i typed regedt32 but I dont see anything like you are describing? Could you give me some more help?

I dont understand this part?

You may have to ADD the group for the profile that can't see the device manager/printers/network contents. Give this group READ ONLY permission and then give SYSTEM full control. In some instances, you will need to go to ADVANCED and check reset permissions on all child objects. Click yes in the warning window and reboot.
    ”