UML usage

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by jayford, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

Hi Guys and Gals

I was wondering how many of you currently use UML on a regular basis, as when I was doing my HND many moons ago it was said to be the next great thing in modelling languages. However it doesn't appear to be in massive demand as one of the requirements in job adverts.

Any feed back is totally appreciated as I am considering reaquainting my self with the language as I really enjoyed using it back in the day and also because l would like to believe that it will be usefull to be able to list it as something that I am conversant with in future (far, far future) job applications.

thanks for your time

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

UML is not a language it is a an analysis/design methodology along the lines of OMT, Grady-Booch, Wilfs-Brock, Schaller Mellor, Coad Yourdon, SSADM, CRC Cards etc.

It consists mainly of a bunch of diagram styles used to depicts different aspects of systems.

It also defines some parts of the analysis/design process, and some of the artifacts and documentation structure.

There are other parts like OCL etc, which are more like formal languages.

Some people are into MDA and they probably see things differently, i'm not an MDA convert so thats my perspective.

Yes it gets used on most projects, however its just one small part of the developers toolset.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wow, I haven't heard that term for a long time (when I did my HNC), na I don't use it :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

.....D'oh, thanks Dmarsh, like I said, It was a loooooong time ago that I first came across it so my memory of what the correct description of what UML is verrry rusty :oops:

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I'm currently taking BSA/375 systems design and implementation and we've gone over UML quite a bit. It's a great tool for modeling, but it is not an industry standard, although it is used almost everywhere for design. Their are several set backs to it that are holding it back from becoming a standard, and it is starting show it's age. A newer methodology you might want to familiarize yourself with is Adaptive Modeling Language (AML) which supports a Rapid Development (RAD) or Joint Development (JAD) systems. The UML was created to help work with the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology, an older development technique that is much slower that the newer systems.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster