1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Umbrella company

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by loca1hero, Sep 21, 2010.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Ok I've been offered a role in 1st line support and its through agency its a 3 months rolling contract and so the agency rang n told me that I should be n if not need to join an Umbrella company for them to send me the contract. Now they have suggested me a company that they use (Its called Giant Services), just wanted to know if any you here have heard of this company and/or know any decent umbrella company here in UK that I can approach as I have not done this before.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I dont know of any good ones but I would advise against choosing crystal umbrella as they were making alot of mistakes and then still charging you.

It is easy to set up a ltd company but I am sure there is plenty of contractors on here that can give you advice one way or another.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

When I was contracting I used Parasol (http://www.parasolgroup.co.uk/) - No problems! Agency dealt with any issues directly with Parasol... maybe that's why... :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I used Giant when i had a similar situation as you. Couldnt fault them really. Answered the phone quickly and were always helpful. I would consider using them again should the situation arise.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  5. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks I think sounds alright to me to consider them then.

6. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks for all your replies

7. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

I would also have a look at Paystream, I have been using them for the last 4+ years without issue.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I use Danbro and find they are excellent and pretty cheap as well. Giant are well known but the issue with them from a lad I worked with is they insist on posting expenses receipts whilst Danbro except scanning and emailing your expenses.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

I've been using Go Umbrella for the last 2 years with no problems at all.

Certifications: GCSE IT
  10. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

I used Giant, had no issues

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If you are going to get continual rolling contracts, maybe contact an accountant with a view to setting up a limited company? I know IR35 may negate some tax savings but worth looking into.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks Michael, I rang up a few company's and found Danbro to be the cheapest and I heard from another reference that Danbro provide good service, so I am going to use them.:)

13. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Ya your right mate, a friend of mine has being doing this for quite some time as it makes more sense if its going to be rolling your current contract. I asked the agency n they told my that the contract can continue for another 3 months if the the employer wants to keep me, if that happens I will consider this option, thanks.

14. michael78

Think long and hard about setting up a ltd company as it's more of a pain to do unless your in contracting for the long term and it's not worth doing until you hit the £18-£20 per hour mark.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  15. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Perhaps that's true as my friend has being contracting for like 20 yrs or so. I understand some1 like him having no problem setting up a Ltd company and hire an accountant, well maybe I'll wait until the time right for me . .

16. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks buddy that's another good suggestion, I checked there website and currently they've got an offer were they are not charging for the first contact -(any duration). I spoke to their adviser and confirmed it with him. Gonna see if I can go with them.

17. michael78

How did you get on with goumbrella? Got a potential contract coming up and the offer is still on for the no fees for your first contract. Where they ok to deal with?