umask

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Aug 23, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm really having trouble with this one (cue Freddy and Ryan). I don't get how it is supposed to work and obviously I'm missing something. It seems like if you type:
    Code:
    umask 022 filename
    that a file with the permissions 666 should have them changed to 644. I tried this on my trusty Debian box and the file permissions don't change at all. I know I am missing something from the description. Here is the link I'm working from:

http://snap.nlc.dcccd.edu/reference/sysadmin/julian/ch18/395-398.html

Please let me know where I am going wrong. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

When a user creates a file or directory, it is *created* using a default set of permissions. These default permissions are determined by the value of umask that is set in the /etc/profile system file or in the user's .cshrc, .login or .profile

Trip, it's all new to me but from the above statement I read the word created not modified? Have you changed the value of umask in one of the above mentioned files and then created a text file and looked at the default perms. The gist I get is that they should reflect the changes?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Oh duh. Makes sense now. You are an ubergeek, Pete. Mr. MCSE on his way to being Linux-guru. Is there nothing you can't do (ok...besides defuse a nuclear bomb with a pair of twizzers)? :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Give me a bomb and a pair of tweezers and I'll have a bash :hhhmmm

I might need a bit of sticky backed plastic, a Fairy Liquid bottle and a paper doily as well though. Not to mention copious amounts of duct tape :eek:

BTW I installed Simply MEPIS yesterday, it uses KDE on top of a Debian derivative. I quite like the features in KDE actually, even if they are more Windows like :rolleyes:

Hopefully I can stay loyal to Microsoft and enjoy the Open Source world too. I don't understand why some people can't see the good in both alternatives.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)