UK trails on super-fast broadband say OECD figures

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Dec 12, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

UK trails on super-fast broadband say OECD figures

The UK is trailing when it comes to next-generation access, new figures show.

According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the UK is placed 21st out of 30 in terms of speed.

That puts it below countries such as Greece, Portugal and Spain.

The report suggests that countries that invest in fibre networks are likely to see the best economic returns in other areas.

When it comes to broadband penetration, the UK is doing OK - placed 13th out of the 30 OECD members.

But most of these subscribers still access broadband via so-called DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) rather than via fibre.

Overall, nearly one in 10 OECD subscribers currently accesses the internet over fibre.

In Japan and Korea, most people do; it is also growing fast in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the US.

The report finds that many governments are subsidising the rollout of new broadband networks.

Full story : HERE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      It's down to priorities, I would have thought. Let's face it, we still have quite a few homes out there with no Broadband because they cannot get it, not because they don't want it. Labour have brought in this Broadband tax, and the Tories are saying they'll scrap it when they get in...

Fibre? LMAO... I see us slipping quickly further down the list.

It needs Government incentives along the lines of the electric lorries plan in the latest PBR to get big business to buy in and help fund it. Major tax incentives would be an excellent start.
    2. ericrollo
      ericrollo
      512k ADSL FTW
    3. GiddyG
      GiddyG
      That's what I had until I went to VirginMedia cable... 2Mbps now, or as near as damn it. 8) That'll do me...