UK IT Training Ltd

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Big Dave, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave New Member

Hello everyone.
    I'm thinking of signing up with a company called UK IT Training Ltd based in Tolworth to do a class-based CIW Designer, MCAD and MCSD course and I wanted to know what people had heard about this company.
    I've visited them and they look good, and have a link from the CIW web-site.
    I nearly signed up with Apprenta but saw a few bad comments about these on this site, so thanks for those.
    I know a lot of you think it is a waste of money but I have tried the self study but got stuck too many times so I need guidance to get me started.

Thanks in advance.

WIP: MCAD
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't know much about them really and it is difficult to judge a company by what others have said. There will always be those that are dissatisfied and those that are happy.

I do know that Tolworth is a pain to get to and from in the rush hour :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

There are several threads relating to UK IT Training and I would suggest you read as many as you can find. It is hard to find people who are on the course with a balanced view of the training given. There are a few postings from disgruntled (UK IT) students but we don't know if their reasons are valid. I suspect that if you read them you will change your mind about signing, that's the biggest danger!
    I began to look into training in India, it's warm - but wet in the monsoon season. Accomodation is cheap, you get to see a different part of the world and make new friends. Plus you only pay for the course you're currently studying.
    Or you may find that UK IT Training is the answer to your dreams. If only you could talk to some ex-students who have secured the +£20K a year job. Would it be a valid question to ask how many get such a job, they must have that figure and if they tell you how many students study you can work out the success rate. I suspect that it's very low.

Well whatever you do good luck

Sean

Certifications: CCNA, 70-270, SCJP 5
  4. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

This is what I've got from someone who didn't make it to the end:

Well, stated on the contract you have 12 months to complete the essential modules, but they can make you wait 6 weeks between modules.

Put is this way...if they make u wait 6 weeks for every modules...what would happen? you'll end up not being able to complete your course during your "training period". Even if they didn't, you'll still struggle to move along (provided you book your exams ASAP after your week course, and must not fail it, or it will delay your chance to get into the next module which is already waiting for you, if you've missed it you'll have to wait weeks)

To extend your "training period", you'll need to pay an additional £250 for a 3-day module, and/or £350 for 5-day module, on a per module basis.

Good luck. would be surprised if you can make it through the end without pain.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

slyuen

your post is a bit disingenuous...

firstly, you say "if they make u wait 6 weeks for every modules...what would happen..."

well, do they ?

and if they do, ( I had a gander at their website) it would mean 6 courses at 6 weeks per course, so 36 weeks. I believe you get 12 months to do all the courses up to mcse level? and another 6 months for the remaining courses... correct me if I'm wrong here...

As the yanks say, Im conflicted about the issue of time limits and students..

I believe time limits have the sole purpose of maximising profits for training companies by making the provision of training contingent on strict adherence to a time limit defined by the training company and gullibly agreed to by an uninformed student.

On the other hand, if a student signs up for these courses without doing basic research on what they're getting into and then fail to stick the pace required, it's not the training companies fault. I do believe that many of the disgruntled posts from students along the lines of 'I got ripped off and they didn't give me the training I paid for' translates into 'I didn't do the research to know what I signed up for and can't hack the pace'

just my 2 cents...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

You could be right. I do agree that the student should do research first (i.e. going into CF first and read akk those nice comments :D ) and then assess himself whether he could complete the course in the set timeframe. He then decides whether he would agree to that limit.

Perhaps some people expect things to go easy and straight-forward, whilst in reality you do have to be active and planningful, etc.

I had no experience with UK IT Training myself... so i AM NOT totally against it...(who knows....I might get trained with them in the future, if it suits me) It is perhaps whether the training contract terms match your training plans yourself that helps you make a decision. If you do go ahead, good luck.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

"It is perhaps whether the training contract terms match your training plans yourself that helps you make a decision"

yup!

if the t's and c's dont' appeal, don't sign... and definitely don't sign until you read and understand what you're signing...

so many folks forget that!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  8. ploughclose

ploughclose New Member

Hi, all

Like quite a few other people on these forums, I've been attracted to the Apprenta internship offering. The figures seem to differ, but in my case, I was told that I would qualify for the Senior Consultant training (!), that the training would cost £22,000 (it does include 3 months with the World Bank as work experience) and that I would have to finance £8,000 of this. A 10% deposit of £800 was required (I have not paid this yet!) You end up with MSCA/D and Biztalk certification and a guaranteed job.

I've seen the contract on this last bit. It says "ICS undertakes to find the Student an offer of reasonable employment commensurate with the Student's skills and experience within 3 months of the Student's complete satisfaction of all courses and examinations."

"In case of ICS's failure of its above obligation it will refund the fees to the student at a rate of no more than £250 per month for every month that a student remains unemployed. Total refunds shall not exceed the amount paid in course fees less a small administration cost and the cost of courseware".

When I baulked at £8,000, they offered me a "scholarship" at £1,500. They also offer a "Work Right Now" scheme which allows you to do non-stressful work for their clients during the day so you can concentrate on your studies between 6 and 9 in the evening. This is of particular interest to me as I have just been made redundant.

The problem is, it ticks a lot of boxes for me but I can't find any student who has gone through the internship and can say what it's like. Having read some of the comments on these forums (thanks, guys) I've asked the question of my consultant and left a message for him to get back to me with the names of some students who have been through it.

The contract uses American spellings, so it's obviously based on an American idea. It seems to work there, so why not here?

If anybody has some considered and constructive comment on any of the above, I'd really like to hear it.

Cheers,

Chris. :p

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: Anything .NET!