Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by zimbo, Oct 28, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well well well i d/l a image of this distribution to check it out but i didnt realise that this was started up my mark shuttleworth so this is a south african version of linux?? :biggrin

anyway i been scouring the net for so info about installing and runnning it in general anyone got anything? :dry

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just out of curiousity.... How did you phrase your Google searches if you're having trouble finding anything on installing Ubuntu?

I found this on my first search. It was the fourth link returned. The others were all related to installing Ubuntu too.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i tried "installing ubuntu" :rolleyes:

anyway thanks for the link!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

OK. Don't phrase your searches the way you would in speaking. My search was two words also: ubuntu install. Having the correct words in your search makes all the difference. It's another one of those "arts" that takes time to learn.

If you're having troubles finding something that should be easy to find such as instructions for installing a Linux distro try rephrasing your searches several times.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i find that if you're looking for help on say "installing ubuntu" then it helps if you think of the way the info would be written.

few people would write "help installing ubuntu" but more likely to include, " i'm going to tell you how to install ubuntu"

hth! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I would think that going to ubuntu's site and doing a search there would yield fruit but interestingly enough when I tried, I hit a dead end. Actually, I didn't use any instructions to install ubuntu. I just put the disk in the computer and followed the screen instructions. Installing the default ubuntu workstation is pretty much a snap.

Certifications: A+ and Network+