Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by kat731, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I know Ubuntu comes with Gnome. Debian comes with both Gnome and KDE. Ubuntu is much like Debian that you can install programs other than what it comes with initially through the usage of apt-get. I'm assuming that Ubuntu, like Debian and many other distro's, will allow you to install other gui's.

In Linux the gui is not a part of the OS. It sit's on top of the OS, so to speak, much as any other piece of software does in Linux. XFCE is one of many gui's available for Linux. Here is a link showing that it can be installed in Ubuntu. The way you access it is probably much like you do in Debian. Once you have multiple gui's installed, at the gdm log in screen under the far left menu item--I can't recall what it's called right now--you can choose what gui you want to use to log in under.

Installing "lighter" gui's other than Gnome or KDE gives you the ability to log into a much less "bloated" environment. That's what I've been trying to recommend to you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Freddy I was only winding you up, :D

I am all ears when it comes to Linux I haven't got much to say. I do realise the GUI is interchangeable and yes you can run KDE with Ubuntu if you want to but I am not sure if you can totally remove Knome? I suppose at this stage I am trying to get a feel for Linux, get used to the terminology and file system but there, as always is sooo much to learn.

I really appreciate your help!!!!!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. ffreeloader

LOL. I knew that. I just ignored it.... :twisted:

You don't have to worry about taking the other gui's off your machine. I currently have 7 or 8 gui's installed on my desktop machine just so I could try them. You never run more than the 1 gui you are logged into at one time. So, if you install XFCE along with Gnome, you will bypass Gnome's bloat because you will not be running Gnome while logged into XFCE.

Is this helping or am I making this as clear as mud?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nice to see you two buds getting along here. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Is this helping or am I making this as clear as mud?

'Tis as clear as an azure sky in deepest summer :biggrin

For once!

Cheers,

Pete

Trip I have been a fan of Freddies for a long time, he just didn't know I was reading those posts in that forum. I do lurk and de-lurk at will :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. ffreeloader

[​IMG]

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Lurk and de-lurk...sounds Romulian (think cloaking device). :biggrin

8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Errr. lol.... Glad 2 c u all bantering away!!!! But how about my original serial mouse question??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Kat:dry

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member