Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by kat731, May 5, 2008.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

picked up a couple of old PCs, one, an old Dell 600Mhz, whacked some extra memory in it, installed Ubuntu, all fine. Ok, its got no Nic, put one in, rebooted, straight on the net.. Ubuntu never fails to impress me. No Found new hardware.... connect to the internet to find driversZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! Love it!!!

Kat:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. Yeah, it's pretty amazing that the old myth of Linux being too hard to use still hangs on. I have changed NICs from one brand to another and simply booted into a working NIC. No reconfiguration or anything else necessary. The system simply takes the configuration information for the card previously referenced by eth0, eth1, etc... and applies them to the card that took its place.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I recently reinstalled Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) on the test box that I built a little while ago, the main drama that I had with the machine was that for some reason the install and X kept trying to run at 1600x1200 when this monitor only does 1280x1024. Once I got around that though and then did some customizing it is an awesome desktop. I enabled compiz, installed some GTK themes and also kiba-dock. I am amazed how nice it is and also how easy compared to a few years ago.

Compiz has some amazing effects, far more comprehensive than anything offered in the likes of Vista and it performs so well too. This machine is a mere Athlon X2 3600+ with 1GB of RAM and an integrated GeForce 7050 GPU, yet it runs almost flawlessly. Vista Aero would barely run on this machine!. I am loving it :D. The only problem I have found is that instead of studying for 70-270 I find myself wanting to play around with Linux like I used to... :rolleyes:.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  4. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

hmmmmm this gives me an idea for an old HP machine gathering dust in the shed.....what specs are needed to run ubuntu??? ive always fancied a try at that.

WIP: A+ and Househusband.
  5. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

hmmmmm this gives me an idea for an old HP machine gathering dust in the shed.....what specs are needed to run ubuntu??? ive always fancied a try at that.

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

thanks for the info m8.

8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I love Ubuntu as well! I think I've said it already somewhere... :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good for you, mate. Glad you "joined the ranks". Let us know if you have any questions (maybe, I can help you out for a change). :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Well, I've taken the plunge also - installed Ubuntu on a VM over the weekend, haven't really had too much of a play yet but will do!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Thanks, Trip. :biggrin

Problem is though that a lot of the stuff I do is dependant on windows (most of my programming and games), so I currently cannot completely move over to Ubuntu - although I sure wish I could!

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.