ubuntu live disc

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by moominboy, Sep 26, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hi folks.

just finished downloading the ubuntu live iso to give it a wee test drive. and then burned it to disc with nero-burn image.

but when i explore the disc there is nothing there, doesn't autoplay but the details say its full?

did i burn it using the wrong option, maybe data burn instead?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You used the burn image to disk option right?

Then you should be able to boot from the disk.

8)

3. moominboy

maybe im being stupid then. i thought the live disc would kinda let me explore ubuntu through windows? :biggrin so i have to actually boot from disc and explore that way?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep! Thats how the live CD works. It's a full OS on a CD.

:biggrin

5. moominboy

hahaha. duh!! cheers mate!

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

let us know what you think of it. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's sort of like having a dual boot machine but not really since there's nothing on your hard drive. You can either run the OS on the HDD or the one on the CD. Have fun. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Yes, I stuck it on my Centrino based laptop but couldn't get the wireless to work. What i didn't get was that during the text based set-up it detected both 10/100 and 2200bg wireless, so i assumed it had already set them both up. Sadly, no!
    I plan to re-install it as i really like it. It comes with so much software. :)

9. moominboy

ok folks,here's another silly question. cant get into my bios to change the boot settings!!

on my ibm its f2 during/or just after post?
    ive tried f2,f8,esc, and ctrl alt delete when its booting but either its too fast or im pressing wrong the button.

my pc's a fujitsu siemens btw.

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Try bouncing the F10 key during post that way you shouldn't miss it :)
    Just incase you haven't tried it some laptops (and desktops) BIOS default is to check for a boot sector on floppy, then CD and then the hard drive. It usually displays a _ flashing .
    Try putting the CD in and pressing the F10 key. That way it will either boot to the live CD or go to the BIOS :biggrin

11. moominboy

ok,got into bios,it was f10 btw :oops: , changed boot order, then....xp! tried again same results. disabled hdd just in case, no os found.

so i thought maybe i burned it wrong, tried again , burn image,went through the burning process, successfully, but nothing on the disc! tried it three or four times with different options, burn image, bootable data disc,normal data disc etc,etc...
    but still nothing else on my new disc. :blink

i have tried googling but its supposed to be so easy, and i haven't found anything yet to help.

EDIT:forgot to say, when i try to burn image a box comes up saying block size does not correspond to image length, correct/ ignore

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's possible that the ISO image was corrupted at some point during the download. You could try a fresh download, but it to disk and see what happens.

13. moominboy

tried the disc image or saved project option on nero express, and was all excited when ubuntu popped up!!

but during install, it stopped at data loading and said pool/main/linux-source/acpi modulesxxxxxx-xxxxx udeb file failed md5 checksum.

also said data or disc may be corrupt so im off to start again. cheers lads for the help.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sounds like a fresh download is in order.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes I agree. The checksum is a mathematical calculation of the file integrity, so it is saying the file is not what it should be.

Good luck with the next download, sheesh it took me 5 hours to do it on my ADSL connection :eek: Hope yours is faster :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I :ahem: "borrow" the Internet connection at work for the vast majority of my downloads. Thinks seem to go a tad faster that way. :tongue

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Call the bandwidth police :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. moominboy

lol! :wink:

mines a bit faster than that blurinse, would've been finished this morning if the wife hadn't turned it off!!

ah well, :dry

19. moominboy

exactly the same thing folks. i tried a different mirror this time tho.

when nero finishes,it ejects the cd, then i put it back and the ubuntu box comes up with firefox,thunderbird and two others i dont recognise.

at the bottom it says starting browser?

i can explore the cd fully now but when installing it still gets so far then says file or cd rom integrity failed.

tried cd-rom integrity check and it failed!!

any more ideas folks or should i just ask them to post one?

THIS is the site i got both from, i tried the europe mirror first then the uk one.

cheers again for any help.

20. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not too sure this applies to Ubuntu, but when I played with Mandrake there was a real problem getting their install cd's to work correctly if they were burned at a speed of over 4x. I've never had that problem with Debian cd's.

I don't know why some distro's .iso files seem to have corruption problems when they are being burnt to a cd. It's always baffled me. If I was you I'd try burning one of those .iso images at low speed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1