1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ubuntu issue

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Nov 19, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know where to post this...here or in the Virtual forum. I opened up my original ubuntu vm deciding to kill some time. It powered up from suspension in VMware as usual. I right-clicked on the desktop and tried to open a terminal. I heard a 'thunk' from the speakers and the terminal failed to open. No clocking...just nothing.

I went to Applications -> System Tools -> Root Terminal and clicked it. I heard the 'thunk' but there was some clocking. The clocking stopped and the terminal failed to open.

Taking a leaf from Microsoft's notebook, I decided to reboot. I clicked System -> Log Out but heard the 'thunk' again. Nothing happened. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Finally, I pressed the Ctrl + Alt + F1 key combo to get to a console. No prompt appeared but a bunch of error messages came up. I could press Enter and type but not log in or issue commands. Take a look at the attachment and tell me what you think. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bump.

Did you re-boot the host system and try again Trip?

If it is still not playing nice after that, my guess is you are going to end up re-installing Ubuntu. Any bets? :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I have two ubuntu VMs. One is fine and the other is as described. Never occurred to me to reboot the host. I may try that sometime but in the meanwhile, I've been distracted by another Linux VM. I'll be posting about that in a minute. :)

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Trip,

Did you get to the bottom of the error?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually Boyce, I haven't even tried. See the "Debian" thread in this forum for details. :wink:

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, will do...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT