Ubuntu install

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Rostros22, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Hello all

I am having trouble installing Ubuntu on my machine. The machine already has windows 2000 installed on one partition and I have left a second partition on the disc free for the install (10gb disc – 5gb NTFS for windows – 4gb for Ubuntu + swap file).

Went through the install and everything seems to be ok, installs fine as far as I am aware (this is my first attempt). Once the install is finished I boot up and I can see the Ubuntu install and the win2k install on the boot up menu. When I select Ubuntu it begins to run through the boot up procedure and then hangs.

I have tried the install 3 times now and I have downloaded the iso file again and created a new cd in case it was that but still no joy.

I have ran the recovery mode so I can see exactly what is happening and it only fails on updating the time which I expected seeing as the machine is not connected to the internet.

Is there something simple that I am not doing?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

how long are you giving it when it hangs before rebooting?

It sounds to me like it's hanging on a network dependent service start up, it would be good to disable this service and try again, sometimes with my fedora core 4 install i get hang on boot but after waiting 5 minutes or so it'll skip that service and startup, then i can disable the service that hung.

Did you do a checksum on your iso download/s? And burn the disc using lowest speed? hmmmm, i'm sure the linux experts here will help you out dude

Edit: how about trying a selective/interactive startup?

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  3. Rostros22

Hi arisen,

I burnt the cd at the slowest speed possible for the second cd I created.

I am currently just leaving the machine on to see if it skips but I left it for about 10 minutes before thinking it could be something like that.

how about trying a selective/interactive startup?

How would I go about this?

Thanks

4. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Well on FC and on earlier red hat releases there is an option on boot, it will tell you to press a certain key just as the boot begins to enter interactive startup...you can then manually select which services you wish to start up....don't know how/if selective startup is implemented in ubuntu, most prob is...i'll have a surf and look

You didn't mention if you'd done an md5 or other checksum on your download files? Sometimes a corrupt download can cause this type of funny behaviour.

Edit: try pressing ctrl-c when it hangs on a service!

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  5. Rostros22

I ran the iso file through fastsum and it seems fine

6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

if it ran through the install process ok mate, then the checksum will be fine anyway.

but i'm thinking, if you have some usb devices still plugged in for w2k use these may cause a conflicy which could hang the boot.

is grub mentioned at all during/before/after the POST?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, did it mention any hardware issues during the text based set-up?

I tried installing it on an old P2 but it wouldn't boot in to the GUI.

Are you installing it on a desktop or laptop? What Spec?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would unplug any usb devices and then try rebooting. There have been some problems with usb devices on some motherboards. I have one older gigabyte board with usb that will not boot into Debian with a usb printer plugged in. Hotplug--which handles loading the different kernel modules for things like usb and usb devices--will hang in boot every time.

Once the computer is up and running I can plug the usb devices in, restart hotplug and everything is fine. There is just some usb bug in the gigabyte boards that won't allow it to boot with usb devices plugged in.

The machine will boot into Win2K without hanging with usb devices plugged in, but I've always had problems on this machine with usb devices even before I installed Debian on it. Win 2K would occasionally lose all sense of what type of usb devices were plugged into the machine and it would take hours of work to find out what was wrong.

So, unplug your usb devices before booting into Ubuntu and see if it still hangs. My guess is that it won't.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Funny you should mention USB while booting Fred. I friend of mines XP machine won't boot if he has his External drive plugged in :blink

10. Rostros22

Thanks for all your advice :biggrin

There are no usb devices plugged into this machine.

I am going to have another go during the week when I have a bit of spare time and see what I can find out.

Will let you know how it goes.

11. moominboy

sorry to hijack this thread but didn't noelg mention something like this a while back boyce?

as in the system looking in the external drive for an os and not anywhere else?

anyway :offtopic!

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, yeah i remember now.
    I think the thread you mean was can you get the OS to boot from an external because i remember seeing in my BIOS that my LACIE was an option.
    Otherwise i don't see why the operating system should look on it for start-up files as 1)they aren't there and 2) the BIOS isn't pointing to it at that moment in time.

13. moominboy

yep, that'll be the badger
    yeah it does sound very strange, but maybe someone knows why?

14. Rostros22

Update...

After messing about with it for a few days I have now figured out was was the error.

The PC has an onboard graphics card and an added 32mb graphics card. I was using the PCI graphics card (bought the PC like this - an ebay bargain!) when the machine kept hanging. I removed this card and used the onboard adapter, and hey presto Ubuntu loads!

Just want to thank all those who added input.

I feel I have accomplished my first step into the world of linux :biggrin

Now onto setting up the internet connection... :rolleyes:

And I am now using the internet on ubuntu, there is no stopping me now pinky.... I am ready to take over the world! :biggrin