Ubuntu Certified Professional?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by mattstevenson, Dec 21, 2008.

1. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

The UCP (Ubuntu Certified Professional) - has anybody got any information on this? I understand that it's a relatively new certification out there, but I was flicking through this page:

IT Jobs Watch

...And noticed that demand has increased for this. Now, it looks like there are two training providers in the UK, and the one that's closest offers the course at £1495. There are two courses in total. Is it just me, or does this all sound, well, pretty rubbish?

There's more information here if you like:

Ubuntu Website

Does anyone know anything about it, at all? There seems to be very little information out there on it.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's just the LPI 101 and 102 with an Ubuntu spin. Frankly, if you can take and pass the straight LPI cert exams, Ubuntu isn't going to be so different that you couldn't administer it. Go to LPI.org and have a look around. IBM's DeveloperWorks site has tons of free LPI tutorials that you could use.

There are a couple of books out there that you could use to study:

LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell by O'Reilly.

LPI 1 Level Professional Institute Certification by Sybex.

That ought to save you a few quid.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Do you have a preference of either book Trip?

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd probably use both to make sure I had all my bases covered. That said, if I could afford only one book, I'd probably use the Sybex text. The author, Roderick Smith, has written a number of Linux related books for Sybex and other publishers including the Sybex book for CompTIA's Linux+ exam. That said, don't forget, in my previous post, I also recommended IBM's DeveloperWorks as an online resource to supplement the textbook learning.

EDIT: Not sure about what I'd recommend for anything Ubuntu related. You could take a look at the Ubuntu site and have a look at the curriculum listed and then go through the process of researching those topics. It stands to reason that you'd want to do all this on an Ubuntu machine so you'd be familiar with the ins and outs of it. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Thanks Trip. I've decided that if I only get 1 certification in 2009 it's going to be LPI.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+