Ubuntu 8.0 wont install on VPC

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Elhaj, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I have been trying to install Ubuntu 8 on VPC 2007 but seems to pause/hangs with END TRACE xxxxxxxxxxxxxx message at the end of the script. tried many times with different setting, graphics mode etc,,, but with no joy. the weird thing is ClarkConnect 5/4.3 did install but unusable/hangs.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    the virtual pc console has server2k3 and windows 7 with no problems at all. From what I have read VPC works with linux but not in my case.

Thanks if any advice.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I had a similar issue a few months back trying to install a version of 64bit SuSE (or was it Ubuntu?) on a VMWare server. 32bit worked fine, 64bit however sent some termination error messages and the screen would bork out.

I've succesfully installed Linux on VPC, so maybe you can try to download another distro? There's plenty of those to go around :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Thanks Shimi, im downloading 9.04 version now and i will give a go.
    :)

4. Shinigami

9.0.4 is really nice, a very good alternative to a Microsoft OS. Very easy to setup, looks great too.

Enjoy!

5. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Weird thing, can you believe I got the same error!!!
    any idea Shimi?

6. Shinigami

I guess I'll try installing it myself in the office later today. I'll tell you how it goes.

7. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

I installed 9.04 using MS VPC07 last night to test it and it sailed through without any problems.
    When I made the virtual machine I kept the basic settings and then just increased the RAM available.

Never used VPC before as I usually use Virtualbox, VPC seems like a simplified version of Virtualbox.

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  8. Shinigami

I installed Ubuntu 904 just now on VPC 2007 SP1 as well. But Linux doesn't work "that" well with VPC, and most articles on the net recommend installing virtualbox or vmware.

I had to edit the installation options a little bit to get Ubuntu to install just fine. Here's how.

When the installation begins, select your language, then press F4 and select the safe grafics mode (Linux will try to run in 24bit color depth and VPC doesn't support this). Press the down arrow on your keyboard and select the "Install Ubuntu" option (but don't press enter!). Now press F6, press ESC and begin pressing the left arrow key on your keyboard. You should see your cursor move along a line that has the following words.

Boot Options: file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --

Delete the words "quiet splash" only, and replace it with the words "vga=791 noreplace-paravirt"

Finally, press enter on the option to "install ubuntu" and you're off. Make sure to give enough ram to the virtual machine and the installation will begin. Be patient, it might seem like it stops now and then, but it will eventually complete the setup. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  9. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Thanks everyone,
    Ok here is the summary:
    Followed every step you said Shimi, managed to get it installed, then rebooted and now Im in the same position as before, received END TRACE error message and flashing cursor.
    it must be hardware problem, I had ubuntu installed on another machine with no problems :x
    cheers

10. Shinigami

maybe... There are a certain number of installation options one can use.

I used to have an older version of SuSE installed under VPC. Tried installing version 11, and it wouldn't work (didn't try too hard...). As I sort of mentioned, I got the 32bit version of SuSE 11 and Ubuntu 904 installed on VMWare ESX (64bit crashed and I traced it to some known issue discussed on multiple forums). Having said that, Microsoft works closely with Novell/Suse and it is meant to be compatible with Hyper-V. This I haven't yet tried, but will soon enough.

11. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

vga=791 trick did work but not for long, since I cant save to boot.menu, tried to play around with the bootloader and change display setting to 16 bit(apparently VPC doesnt work with 24 bit) but with no joy as im a newbie to linux(the commands drive mad, nowhere near window's cmd).
    Im clueless here and installed ubuntu on seperate physical machine.

Thanks for your help.

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can get patches for ubuntu to run on vpc you may need one.

I had had trouble installing it for a while but never knew about the patch but got there in the end. Can't remember where I got the patch from though but use google and you will find it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

Try using Virtualbox - I prefer it to VPC and Ubuntu works very well in it.

14. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Thanks guys for your tips I will try your advice.
    the sudo commands are driving me crazy:x, but I am digesting them ,and who ever said Linux is more user friendly he is talking nonesense.

15. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

I wouldnt say its more or less user friendly - just different. Its just your brain is used to Windows.

I like to use both but I find that I 'tinker under the hood' a lot more with Linux.

16. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Well, yes my brain interact quicker with windows(lonnnnng marriage)8), but a two-click operation in windows is a sentence long code in the terminal, not to mention the short commands in the cmd.

dont get me wrong here, I really like the OS, but managing or troubleshooting causes me a headache and few hours of work mate.
    I agree, its different, but Im thinking, if a non technical user been given a chance to use Linux I think he/she wouldnt go further than opening FireFox and browsing the net. tweaking and customising the OS is ALL done by codes, therefore I THINK it's not made for everyone.

i.e I changed the IP setting from dynamic to static(disabled networkmanager to manual) and now the internet comes and goes, TBH im thinking of re-installing, I have tried all the help included, online but no joy. In windows would take me about 2 to 4 minutes to know where the problem is.