Typical (technical) interview questions, helpdesk / 1st line

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I am finally starting to get some interviews, which is good, but I just want to know what are typical technical questions asked in an interview for a helpdesk / 1st line support type role... I will research the "other" typical interview questions as I always end up fumbling these :) but just want a rough idea what to expect...

I haven't worked in IT before - I know plenty about troubleshooting and fixing computers etc, and I have achieved several certs of the last 18 months or so but I'm just worried about being put on the spot about something and not knowing the answer straight away?

The first interview I have confirmed on Tuesday is IT Assistant, here is a list of "typical duties"
    So doesnt sound like much troubleshooting will be involved really?

But I welcome any advice :D

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I get the same impression as well, it sounds more of a helpdesk co ordinator role by the sounds of it, and maybe someone wanting who wants to do lots of troubleshooting may not be what they are ideally wanting unless it is quick fixes and it sounds like the person who gets the role will have enough on their plate.

But this sounds like it would be a good first step, and obviously there may be chance of progression, depending on the companies IT plan

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Interviews for first line support will likely include some of the following:

Configuration of office (from 2000 onwards) products, especially outlook
    Examples of when you have dealt with a angry customer and what you would do to help them through to a resolution.
    Navigation and trouble shooting various aspects of the windows OS (Anything from desktop layouts to network connection issues)
    (From the Job spec) The different types of backup types (Incremental, Differential, Copy etc) and how you would use them.

They may ask what helpdesk packages you have used before and may test you on logging calls and what questions you ask to get to the problem or assist the technicians with their roles.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on...

The job itself could be quite risky if I did get it, its a 3 month contract which would lead to a permanent position, but I would then have to re-apply for this permanent position, I haven't had to do that sort of thing before? I am just hoping I hear back from one of the other jobs I have on the go at the mo 8)

5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Didn't get the job :(

But apparently I did very well in the interview, and it was a close choice between me and one other candidate apparently... So I must be doing something right, not bad for my first ever interview for an IT job :) and I have no IT experience either!

On to the next...

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done matey, at least you got some positive feedback.

I'm sure you will get the next one.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, best of luck next time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Hope you get lucky next time!
    What did they ask?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+